That's how it feels right now. Big changes are in the works: we've decided to relocate to Greenville, South Carolina. Yes, you read that right. Me first--at the end of the month. Then Bob and Garrett will follow once the house is sold. Our decision was based on being closer to family. We want Garrett to grow up surrounded by his cousins. As for Bob, it's all about warmer temperatures. And me? Well it took some time but I finally got it through my thick skull that's it's not about me any more. Which was hard because it's always been about me. Ha. But having Garrett changed all that. So while visiting Greenville last month, I set up few "informational" interviews, never thinking in my wildest dreams that a city of 51,000 could offer me anything challenging or meaningful. Wrong. My third interview landed me at Erwin-Penland, a 250-person ad agency (sister agency to Hill-Holliday out of Boston) and, lo and behold, there was an opening for a copywriter. Call it karma, call it fate, but I got an offer and the rest, as they say, is history.
Leaving a progressive, vibrant city like Minneapolis will be hard. Saying goodbye to all my wonderful friends will be harder. Harder still will be living apart from Bob and Garrett, especially since we don't know how long it'll be. I'm going to really, really, really miss them. But we didn't want to uproot Garrett from his school mid-term; his teachers and IEP Plan this year are phenomenal. Besides the fact that he's still going to OT and making tremendous strides. (I'll leave that for another post.) And Bob still has lots of work to do on the house before it's ready to go on the market. So we'll have to make do with monthly visits and Skype.
Carolina, here I come.
15 comments:
Best of luck to all of you during this period of transition. And beyond, of course. But given the upheavals in all of your lives, recently, this may be the perfect time to move south of the Mason-Dixon.
Lots of love from the country to the North. We look forward to all of the updates on your respective move(s).
Wow, big changes for all of you. It sounds like it will be good, it's always nice to have family nearby. I hope Bob and Garrett don't have to wait too long to join you. We will be following you during your move. We've moved a few times and will no doubt move again.
BTW, Fred Rogers published a great kids book about moving.
I hope the transition goes smoothly! I know it will be tough but you'll be together again before you know it. If you need anything during all of this let me know, I'd be happy to help where I can. We're so happy you're all going to be closer!
Wow!! I never guessed your news was going to be THAT big. Congratulations to you- many of them. I know well that it wasn't the easiest of decisions, and though we've struggled in ways that I would never have believed possible, I haven't regretted it for a second. I wish you well on this next phase of life. I'm so excited you found a job that seems to click with you already. That's wonderful news.
I'm really happy for you Karen. Sorry that you'll have to spend time apart from your guys, but I am happy for you all that you made this tough decision and are going for it!
And I'm so jealous- SC!! Wow, now THAT is great weather! :-)
Wow - you certainly like adventure, don't you? Congratulations on the new job! I'm sure it will be stressful until you are all together again, but you survived adopting from Kaz, so you can do anything!
I'm sure you won't miss the Minnesota weather!
Take care, from your Winnipeg friends,
Stacey, Dave and Rylan
I am so happy because you will be closer but I can only imagine the pressure and unknown factors for you.....it is the south, how scary for you! hee,hee!
Cincy and I with the rest of the southern posse will do our best to put out the red carpet and help ease your transition to the other side. Let us know if we can help at all!
Hugs and love coming your way! lexi
Best of luck with your move - all of you...
Yes , it will be hard being apart but keep the bigger picture in mind and hopefully it won't be long before Bob and Garrett get to join you....
Regards
Adrienne
Wow, Karen!
Congratulations on your new job and upcoming move. I've so enjoyed your blog and watching Garrett mature. He is such a handsome boy. You and Bob are a great team.
Lorraine
So happy for you, but also sending lots of positive vibes (think big cross in the blue sky -- HA!) to help you all get through this. Moving is soooo stressful, settling in to a new place is soooo stressful, but I know it will be all worth it in the end. I, too, struggle about Max not being around family. I have such huge respect for your fortitude! The agency looks and sounds amazing. I am so proud of you!!!
I am sure moving is hard, ESPECIALLY leaving Garrett and Bob. But...all things happen for a reason and I feel sure this job you got was the universe saying YES YES YES!!
The weather is wonderful, it's SO pretty there. I spent some time there with my BFF from high school. They moved to Raleigh Durham now but lived in Greensboro. In fact, I told Joe the other day if we ever move..I want to go to North Carolina. It's suuuch a pretty state!
I know that once you get settled you will love it. You are also closer to us! :)
Good luck getting it all together. You are supermom so i Know it will be hard, but you will make it thru to NC with flying colors. XOXOOXXO
ok, so i am the worlds biggest dummy.My brain saw Green and I thought Greensboro NC...
now, Greenville SC, i have never been but I love Charleston and you are even close to me. and you will LOVE THE WEATHER!! )
BYE BYE FREEZING!!
Another adventure ahead of you .... an exciting,stressful and emotional adventure but you guys have already proven how strong you are. Always remember that the end result will be worth it....
Warmer weather, great job, beautiful country -- sounds perfect. I'm going to be so jealous when you're telling us all about the sunshine and warmth and we're enjoying subzero weather & tons of snow ...... :-)
Will be thinking of you and hoping the house sells quickly so you can all be together soon!
WOW. I have a sneaking suspicion that in about 6 weeks/ late November/ early December time, if you haven't realized it already, you'll realize that South Carolina is going to be FANTASTIC. What a beautiful place to live. And yes, living near family is worth it all. Such a special thing for children to get to grow up near their family. And that is amazing about your job. Seriously, wow. Here's to hoping that the house gets on the market and sold soon so that you are back with your two favorite men soon.
I'm sure the next few weeks will be crazy, and I'll definitely be thinking about you guys during all of the transitions.
Congratulations on such an exciting decision!
Okay....I finally had time to take a look at your blog. I've only gotten bits and pieces on FB the last couple of days and I can see that you're busy.
I am hoping that your time apart will not be long. Being a military wife (and a ex-flight attendant)moving has always been a part of our picture. We look at it like an adventure. We'll be moving next summer for the first time with a little one. We are going to retire in So Cal. I understand leaving friends behind. It's difficult. Maybe you can Skype your friends too?
For you....I think it's fantastic that you're moving closer to family!! The weather will be a plus. Congrats on the job as well. Three good things already.
We are going to buy our first house and we're scared to do it. It's a huge step!!
I'm happy for you!!
Eileen
OH MY GOD I finally finally finally made it to your blog! WOW! HUGE! HUGE!!!!! Wish we could get together and talk it through for a few hours to hear everything! Thinking ofy ou and PROUD of you and hoping things go smoothly (enough)! WOW!
Post a Comment