Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Make a decision

This whole moving thing is hard. Besides all the obvious emotional stuff, there are a lot of big decisions to make—usually multiple ones at the same time. Which realtor do we go with? Is it wiser to spend our limited budget on a new granite countertop or an asphalt driveway? What should I get rid of and what should I take? You get the picture. So when I get this email today from Seth Godin, a marketing guru, it couldn't have come at a better time.

Make a decision.

It doesn't have to be a wise decision or a perfect one. Just make one. In fact, make several. Make more decisions could be your three word mantra.

No decision is a decision as well, the decision not to decide. Not deciding is usually the wrong decision. If you are the go-to person, the one who can decide, you'll make more of a difference. It doesn't matter so much that you're right, it matters that you decided.

Of course it's risky and painful. That's why it's a rare and valuable skill.

3 comments:

Julian and Sara said...

I cannot decide whether I like that logic or not. ;)

Kelly and Sne said...

Congrats on your decision to move! The company I work for has some facilities near there and those who live there LOVE it. I hope it's not too hard on Garrett to be away from you for so long. I know that it throws Miras off if one of us is gone for just a day or two and we travel fairly frequently (1-2 times a month). Sounds like karme is on your side so whatever decisions you make will work out!

McMary said...

It must be overwhelming but I am sure it will all come together. From everything I have seen, you make great decisions and I am sure this time will be no different.