Pulled into Greenville yesterday during torrential rains. It was a long drive especially when my '01 Passat decided to "stop" due to coolant issues just as we entered the mountains of Tennessee. Thankfully I had cell reception to flag Bob down (we drove in separate vehicles and he drives like a Formula car driver, which he was in his younger days, so he was far ahead of me). Apparently my car was burning oil like crazy and wasn't keeping the coolant cool enough. If adding oil didn't do the trick we would've been forced to tow my car to the nearest VW dealership, which was over two hours away. God was looking out for us for sure, because I experienced no problems after that. The other hiccup was a big landslide on the road between Knoxville and Asheville that set us back a couple of hours. But there were also a few trip highlights; one was seeing Lexi (Karen Kitzman, sans Pat and Nick) in Lexington, KY and the beautiful fall foliage along the way. The Smokies are stunning this time of year.
So now I sit in a Starbucks in Greenville with a Grande Latte and free Wi-Fi. Bob, Garrett and Cody (our dog) are heading back to the Twin Cities to sell the house; they're probably close to Louisville by now. It was hard to say goodbye this morning; I was a blubbering fool. The apartment is so darn quiet (no kids, TV or computer—a big contrast to life as usual). My furnishings are very sparse; card table and folding chairs, a blow-up mattress and two lawn chairs. I start work tomorrow at 8:20 am.
No grass grows under these feet. On to the next chapter.
P.S. I have tons of great pictures from my two buh-bye parties, which I promise to post once I find the darn camera.
10 comments:
Sounds like quite the trip - glad you made it safely! Life sure will be crazy for a while but I am so happy for you to be making this change. Sorry I couldn't make it to the going-away party for you, figured you'd prefer I keep my possible-flu-contaminated-self away!
So happy to see you even if just for a moment! Glad you made it safe and sound with a few bumps! :) Please know you can call, come visit, email ANYTIME you are feeling the new town/new life lonlies! So happy you are closer and will pray for a fast and furious house selling process! Go Bob Go! oh, and by the way, I was sooooo off on the population. I found online that it is probably more like 300,000.....such a dork! :)
Karen, we are sending our love and prayers in so many ways. We are so excited as you start your new job and your new adventure, but we are also praying that you will all be reunited soon. Perhaps the silver lining is the ability to focus on your new surroundings with limited distractions -- by the time the boys get there, you'll be a veteran of the area, and that will surely help them settle in even sooner. Sending prayers of support to Bob, too, as he keeps things moving along smoothly in MN. Hugs, hugs, hugs!!
Welcome to Greenville Karen!
I'm glad you made it there safely. What a whirlwind of a trip for everyone. Whew!
I hope you get to see your boys regularly, and that the house sells quickly.
Best wishes on your first day of work! Please let us know how the first week goes!
Life is definitely full of changes. I am so happy your trip went well but cried when I read about your good-bye. I can totally understand now that I had to leave a certain little girl behind in Russia.
I will pray that we are both united with our children soon.
Good luck on the new job.
What an adventure .... glad you made it safely.
Hoping that you're doing well and that Bob and Garrett will be with you soon!
Looking forward to hearing how you're doing .... sending prayers and hugs to you!!!
Glad you arrived safe and sound. I hope they can sell the house fast so you all are reunited soon. All the best and enjoy SC. My colleagues who live in the area LOVE it down there.
Thinking about you -- wondering how you're doing?
WOw. Big changes. Hope all goes well. Thinking of you and glad we had the chance to see you in Minn. before you left!
Karen -I am so glad you landed safely. It is so fun to hear about all the things going on with your new job, Garrett and Bob, I love to read your blog.
I have been trying to email you but not sure if you are receiving my email o.k.
I will keep my fingers crossed and I will pray that your house will sell very quickly. I am sure it will because the dear Lord will look out for you! Once Bob puts his selling face to work - he will be joining you in no time! How do you like your new job? How exciting to start a new job. I bet is is really pretty in Greenville! Enjoy Karen and I will try to get your address so I can write you.
Take care and I wish you all the best!
Tracy Schafer
Post a Comment