I knew the day would come when I'd hit a wall. After 2-1/2 years of faithful blogging, the urge has simply gone away. Not that there's not a lot to blog about lately: a new job, a new city, a new apartment, life without Bob and Gman. I thought being on my own and so far away from everyone that the urge to connect would be stronger. I definitely felt that way while in Kazakhstan, in fact, you had to tear me away from the computer. But not so here. Maybe I'm just burnt out from working long hours, sleeping on a blow-up mattress, eating off a card table and reclining on lawn chairs. I wake up each morning thinking I'm only here for a 50-day period (like in Uralsk) and will be going home any day now. Except I don't have a court date to muddle through. Greenville is my home. And while this city has a lot of wonderful qualities, it just doesn't feel like home. Yet.
Meanwhile back at the old homestead, Bob has completed refinishing the basement and three-season porch. (It looks great.) He has also repainted most of the house. We're literally days away from putting the house on the market. You'd think the month of December would not be an ideal time to put a house up for sale, but apparently there's a lot of activity in the Twin Cities. Corporate relocations are big in November and December—and besides interest rates are still relatively low. So we shall see. Garrett is doing well despite the separation. No regression or problems at school. He talks about me to his teachers, telling them I'm here looking for a new house. We talk every day on the phone and he and Bob spent Thanksgiving here for a few days. It was great seeing my boys. I do have photos to share, but finding a USB cord (ours is packed away somewhere) that fits our camera in this town is not easy. In fact, finding anything in this town is tricky. But I'll leave that for another blog post.
Happy Belated Thanksgiving everyone!
10 comments:
Good to hear from you again. Glad that things are going okay but like you, I can't wait for the day that you are reunited with your boys--it must be hard to be apart.
Glad you had a good Thanksgiving.
Hi Karen
Lots of warm hugs sent down from the North. Although we still don't understand why you guys celebrate Thanksgiving two months late. :)
Hopefully this temporary period of adjustment is simply...temporary. And will end soon, when your house sells in two weeks time and you rapidly acquire two new roomates. These times are always so trying - especially the separations - but will be worth it eventually.
All the best.
Sara, Julian & Zoe
P.S. Kazapalooza 2010 in Milwaukee? One needs targets, don't you know.
Good to see you back :)
Must have been great to be reunited for Thanksgiving...
Hope your house sells soon..
Regards
Adrienne in Ireland...
IT sounds like you have a lot going on so I can understand why blogging isn't top of mind. Hope the house sells fast (though I hate it when I make improvements to a house just to put it on the market - makes me wonder why I didn't do them a lot sooner!). And that you are reunited with your boys for good very soon.
Glad to see you post an update. Can't wait till you can be reunited with your boys for good!
Happy belated Thanksgiving Karen! Many hugs to you as you muddle through this challenging transition time. I look forward to the day your guys are with you full time, and you get to sleep on a real bed, and recline in real chairs. Someday that will happen!
So glad to see a post from you -- we've missed you! Can only imagine how hard it must be on all of you .... being apart, you starting a new job, Bob fixing up the house .... stay strong! Sending positive thoughts and many prayers your way ....
Glad to hear the Minn home is ready to go. I know you are anxious to get the boys to Greenville. I think that will help everything "feel" as it should. You are making a big change in culture, lifestyle, etc. Give your self time to adjust. You don't have to feel "at home" immediately. It took me several years to adjust to Ky and I grew up coming here several times a year. It will happen. You are a great friend so I have no doubt you will make them soon enough even if you don't drink sweet tea! ;) Hugs!
I'M grateful for Facebook because I can check on you there.
I would not be motivated to blog if I were in your shoes either.
I am motivated to blog for Leeza. She is changing so fast, I just feel that i need to capture it all before I forget. :)
I'm so proud of Garrett for doing so well in your absentia. That is amazing and KUDOS to you and Bob for making him so secure in his environment! I am so proud of him (and you guys!)
I can't imagine how hard it is for you to get used to a new job, a new city, and all that, without your boys. NO WONDERYOU DON'T WANT TO BLOG!
I feel surethat once your family is reunited once again you will be back to share Gman's daily antics.
I'm so proud of all of you.
Much love!!
I get the I need a rest from blogging. I love reading them but I just can not find the energy to post on mine. SO sad because I do get joy from reading other blogs.
So you are in Greenville - what a great place. THe boys went to camp in Ashville last summer so I flew into greenville. Very cheap flights to Tampa/St Pete so if you get the urge to vist us. If I fly back in there this coming summer I will let you know.
Thinking of you - i know it is hard being away from your men.
Post a Comment