So for the past two weeks I've been busy getting ready for the big move (and whatever this new transition will bring). I've been talking to Garrett's current teachers and it's not always easy hearing what they have to say. In the opinion of his special education teacher, not only is he not meeting the goals set in the IEP, but he probably won't reach them by year end. His social worker also has not seen much improvement; Garrett still acts impulsively and inappropriately with no filter. Still testing boundaries and acting defiant (probably due to our separation). Also troubling, Bob tells me he works long and hard with Garrett on reading and spelling and he's not recognizing letters or words. When he sees the word "on" he says "no." Also he has Garrett repeat the same few words over and over only to have him forget them minutes later. Dyslexia? Vision? Oh where, oh where do we begin?
Last week I enrolled Mr. G in his new school, Brushy Creek Elementary.
You can't see it in the picture, but it has the cutest school bell you've ever seen. Also plan on meeting with the director of special education for the school district as well as the special education teacher and psychologist at Brushy Creek. This hopefully will all happen before I fly back home on the 9th, because Garrett starts school promptly on the 16th. Here's a copy of his reading level update based on the winter DRA.
Garrett started first grade on a level one and has only moved up to a three. It's the end of the second quarter and a DRA 6 and below means a student need improvement. It's fairly obvious Garret will never be where he needs to be by fourth quarter. (DRA 18 is at grade level; DRA 8-16 equals progressing.) It'll be interesting to hear what this new school will have to say, so stayed tuned.As far as my life goes here in Greenville, all I've been doing is working my butt off. Life at a "retail" ad agency is fast and furious. It seems every client these days is being overly reactive (can you say scared?) and second guessing him or herself due to this piss-poor economy. But the good news is, I'm finding my groove and have produced more in the last three months than I did all of last year. And although I really miss Bob and Gman I'm grateful that I had this time to figure it out. I can't imagine working at this pace while balancing life with a special needs child. As Jennifer R. would say, "Oye." Oh, and I've also made some connections with a couple of local APs, so I'm excited about that.
I'll leave you with this masterpiece that my little artist recently created. To me, it looks like a bird underwater. What do you see?
9 comments:
What a beautiful picture Garrett drew--he has talent. I hope this new school will be able to help him find his niche.
You are a fantastic mom and it will be so good to be with you again.
what a COOL picture! Garrett is quite the artist - something to nuture for sure. Don't get too discouraged but perhaps get some help with figuring out what the right path will be. Remember that kids each learn differently - what one can remember by sight, another might have to draw/write or even make a picture about! IT's all about making those internal connections and once you figure out the formula (even if it is repeition ad nauseum), it'll be like a light clicking on. Glad you are keeping pace at your new company. It does feel good to be a 'mover and shaker' at work.
Sweet Karen....first of all, can I just tell you, I admire you more than you know.
I'm glad you're getting the groove of the new job...and although the seperation has been hard, I think allowing YOU the time to adjust is so important. I still recall starting my new job and going in at 7 am and working until 8 or 9 pm...thankfully that was pre-Sean because I could havae never done that once I had him!
If Garrett does have dyselxia, that would sure explain a lot! My stepmom has/had it, my brother, and his daughter (now 11 and doing amazing) have all had it. they all say they were relieved to have a diagnosis because there is help for it.
You are a strong strong mama bear and I know you'll get behind whatever he needs. Garrett has been thru so much in his life, he's such a darling lil boy. I'ms so glad he has you to fight for him. I know ya'll will figure it out together.
xoxoxoxo
Beautiful artwork, Garrett! Looks like a child climbing a rock wall to me ... obviously a lot of things "click" with him and eventually you'll all figure out what the best approach is.
Post a Comment