Sunday, January 10, 2010

The 2010's

Happy New Year's. I can't believe we're already into the second decade (and we haven't even named the first one yet). I remember sitting in my living room alone 10 years ago. It was December 31, 1999 and when the clock struck midnight all mayheim was supposed to let loose. I never got caught up in the Y2K frenzy, maybe because I never was too tech saavy. Back then, I didn't own a cell phone or even a computer. My TV was analog and my landline was pretty reliable. I was single and carefree (although I was getting over a bad relationship at the time). Who cares about Y2K when you're witnessing history—tell me how many people get to see the first digit of the year change from a one to a two? Now that was exciting—and I knew there were more exciting things just around the corner.

For me, my first "exciting" opportunity came the day before 9/11. I made the difficult decision to switch careers and return to school full time at the ripe old age of 43. Watching the horror unfold on TV the following day made me more determined to move forward. My mom felt differently, planting seeds of doubt (which she does so brilliantly)—why risk your job—you can't afford to spend money on school now. Look at what just happened. Fear, fear, fear. Well, it all worked out for me. I got a great education at a good price. My employer at the time generously allowed me to work part time. And here I am years later with a new book (portfolio), a new job and a new life. (Not to mention a great husband and son.) Yes, a lot of good has happened to me (in fact, my life has done a 180 since Dec. 31, 1999) as I sit in my sparsely furnished apartment in Greenville, SC waiting for our house to close. (Yes, we were blessed with multiple offers in just seven days.) So far, it looks like the day will be February 12, barring no catastrophes. With that said, I look forward to a "quieter" decade with hopefully far fewer life changes. (I really need a rest.) But I guess that one is completely out of my hands.

Happily, I was never alone this holiday season. Bob and Garrett drove down to spend Christmas with me and his niece and cousins. We also drove south to Marietta, GA the day after to visit Charlie and his family. Then my boys left on the 29th and more guests arrived the following day—Rochelle and Melissa flew down from MN to spend New Year's Eve with me. We had lots of fun and an amazing dinner and a to-die-for pumpkin pie martini at the High Cotton in downtown Greenville. Five minutes before midnight the smoke alarms sounded and a group of dashing firemen came to our rescue. Yes, we were smoking hot. Next morning, with GPS in hand, we headed north to the Biltmore to see it all decked out. That sure is some place, I tell you. Here are some of the holiday pictures: Starting with our Charlie Brown Christmas tree in our Charlie Brown apartment.



Aunt Laura, Uncle Jeff, Natalie and Carlie.


Garrett and Spiderman.

Horsing around.
Melissa and Rochelle: Finally, do you think we'll be calling this year two thousand and ten? Or twenty ten? I prefer the latter (easier to say), but it'll probably be the former since last year was two thousand and nine. Happy 20-10!

9 comments:

BabyKazfan said...

Happy New Year indeed! Garrett is such a happy, sweet boy. You have certainly changed your life in the past decade! good for you!!!

So proud of you, for, yet again, taking a risk, moving again, to start a new job, in a new city. You are amazing!
CONGRATS on the house selling so quickly. Feb 12th will be here before we know it...we are busy donning our Valentines apparel over here.

i have always wanted to tour the Biltmore. Maybe we can plan a trip to visit and tour it together. :)

xoxoxo
Susan :)

Kelly and Sne said...

Happy happy new year! Wonderful to know that life is going your way in so many ways! You are an inspiration for following your heart and not your Mother! Looks like you had a great Christmas too.

Stacy said...

I've gotta tell you, your post comes at such a great time for me - not entirely for what it says, but for the decision you've made, the major leap of faith you've made, and the clarity in which I can see that YOUR choice is the perfect one for you. Now I need to see all that for myself - big decisions ahead for me on a move too and it's scary to make the decision! But you need to keep writing - love your updates, excited for the house to close and for Bob and Garrett to get down with you!

4texans said...

Great update! Glad to hear about your house selling and that you will be reunited with your family soon. Happy New Year!

dnd82001 said...

Happy 2010 to you, your husband & you son!

Your leap of faiths have brought you many wonderful things and wishing you continued happiness in 2010!

Darlene

Kimberly said...

Happy New Year Karen! It is great to hear things are going well for you and the fam. Hoping things go smoothly with the closing!

Henry's mom said...

What a great update!

We got to meet the "famous handsome Charlie" while we were in Atlanta over christmas.

I hope we get to meet you and handsome Garrett in June!

xxoo
Carolyn

McMary said...

What a lot you have been through in the last years--you are always an inspiration to me.
Sounds like Twenty-Ten (or two thousand and ten) will be another qreat year for you and you all make your new life together in your new home.

kitzkazventure said...

Wow, what a great life changing 10 years for you. I also married and became a parent in the last 10 years. Yikes! I am so impressed with your career change and now your big move. Such a brave and courageous Woman! Proud to know you! Although, I am a bit taken back by the omission of that life changing weekend in Ohio...I mean, who else gets direct communication from Jesus! hee,hee! Really, I am so happy and honored to call you my friend and fellow name-sake. Love ya girl!