Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Moving right along

Actually, we won't be moving to our new home until June 4th, but we're moving nonetheless. So excited to get off the floor and into a real bed and not have to constantly remind Garrett to be quiet after 9 pm, because of the neighbors below us. And poor old Cody (our almost 15-year-old dog) won't have to walk up and down three flights of stairs just to go potty.

Despite apartment living, Garrett continues to blossom. The school psychologist ran a battery of tests and deemed him to be 98% ADHD. So after much discussion, we decided to put him on a low dosage of Focalin (a stimulant) and, low and behold, we have a new little boy. He "wants" to do homework. He sat in his seat through seven innings of baseball. He's getting seven stars at school for good behavior. Our prayers have been answered. There are some side effects though—he has developed a facial tick and after the meds wear off, he can get mean spirited. But overall, we're pleased with the results. We're also on the waiting list to have him evaluated by a team of developmental pediatricians. I just know there's more going on then just ADHD and I don't want to ignore it. But at least I feel like we're on the right track. One bad thing is our new home is far from his school. Kind of torn as what to do. Part of me doesn't want him to have to start over again. But the other part wants him to go to school with his little buddies from the new hood. The subdivision we're moving into is teeming with boys G's age. (That's the number one reason why we're moving there.)

Another big reason why we moved to Greenville is to be closer to these two precious little boys. Here's a photo of our day with Charlie and Jon-Jon. I have more pics of our great day, but they're in my camera. Nothing beats hanging out with the Uralsk Babyhouse #1 gang.

6 comments:

dnd82001 said...

Sounds like everything is moving in the right direction and all things are good. As always everythng will fall into place and the right decisions will come as well.

Darlene

McMary said...

I am so happy to hear Garrett is doing well on the meds and that life is more peaceful for all of you.
The new neighborhood sounds pretty cool. I am sure you will make the best decision regarding school and that Garrett will do well with your help--that's how it has always been with you two so I am sure it will stay that way.
Way to go--I can't wait to hear how things go in the new house.

Anonymous said...

There's a Yahoo group that may interest you, many of us are adoptive parents that, just like you, knew there was "more going on" than the easy ADHD diagnosis.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NEUROnetwork/

I have learned so much from these people who have been there! Good luck,
Ann S

Tracy Schafer said...

Karen,

So nice to see all of your comments and your progress in South Carolina. I am so proud of all you and Bob have accomplished in the last few years. You are amazing people.

Nice to hear Garrett is doing better with his meds. Best of luck with your move in June and whatever you decide on Garrett's school.

Whatever you chose should be great because you are so adaptable and I am sure this will rub off on Garrett someday also! Take care Karen and Thank you for continuing to update your Blog!

Tracy Schafer

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow - I bet you can't wait to be in a new house! Glad to hear that you are finding something that works for Garrett. I'm sure that having best buddies nearby will help!

Susan said...

oh i am so glad to read this. you are such an awesome mommy.
there is another mommy i met who adopted her son at 20 months from Kostanai, and he is on Focalin too. her name is Amy gish. She would probably be a great resourse for you. She is on facebook. Her son has had some pretty crazy behaviors. Let me know if want her info. She posted on PAKK the other day and she is VERY sweet and very helpful and perhaps could share some insight with the ADD.

Sean has friends in the hood too but he goes to a private school. he is older, of course, so that is easier, but you need to find the BEST school for Garrett and YOU.

xoxoxo