Remind me never to schedule taxes, IEPs and neurophysiological evaluations all in the same week. Ugh.
Our IEP meeting last week went okay. Basically, Garrett is performing below average academically, which means by public school standards it's good enough to advance him to the next grade. (Man do I hate the "no child left behind" law.) Like I stated in an earlier post, you have to be seriously deficient before you qualify for any special education once you hit 7 years old. (Which Garrett will be in July.) He didn't qualify for speech therapy because the sounds he has troubles with don't exist in his native tongue (Russian or Kazakh). But the school therapist will provide us with articulation lessons, so we can work with him on our own. If we don't see significant improvement, we'll have to go to Plan B (okay, I don't have a Plan B at this point). One area he has regressed is his behavior. He's not sitting still and listening to his teachers, plus he's being defiant. So they're going to run a battery of tests in March to see if he qualifies for special education through the back door. Our gut tells us that Garrett would benefit from repeating kindergarten, except this time we'd send him to all day K. Even his K teacher agreed with us, but later retracted because (we think) she felt she said too much.
In the meantime, I'm going to learn more about IEPs and what our rights are as parents. Our friend Michelle (who also adopted from Kazakhstan) told us about a non-profit organization in Minneapolis called Pacer Center www.pacer.org. The mission of PACER Center (Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights) is to expand opportunities and enhance the quality of life of children and young adults with disabilities and their families, based on the concept of parents helping parents. One of their workshops—Understanding the Individualized Education Program (IEP)—seems particularly interesting. It teaches parents about IEP development, including new IEP requirements, overview of evaluation, team planning, writing measurable IEP goals, adaptations, implementation and methods for resolving disagreements. I can hardly wait. They also offer individual assistance over the phone and in-person to families who have questions about their child's needs. And it's all FREE. Woo-woo.
We also have an appointment next week with Dr. Maria Kroupina for a neuropsychological assessment. She's the clinical research director for the International Adoption Medicine Program and would be able to predict behavior and other cognitive issues that may occur later in Garrett's life. The main goal is to see whether he would benefit from early intervention. (Especially since his special ed teacher thinks he should be medicated.) I like the idea of having someone whose expertise is institutionalized children because the school district isn't equipped to evaluate him from that perspective.
BTW we were so excited to get our taxes done this year. We should be getting back a nice refund this year, thanks to the international adoption credit. It'll be nice to finally get rid of all the adoption expenses.
10 comments:
The Adoption Credit is the best! :) I really don't have any words of wisdom to offer you, but I will be praying that you are able to get the answers you need. The Pacer Center sounds like an awesome resource and I really hope you get some answers!
Karen I was so pleased to read your post because you have something to work with....the Pacer Center sounds wonderful. What a blessing to meet Michelle who told you about it. The fact that it's free is a bonus! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will benefit a great deal from this resource!
Congrats on the tax refund!!
Karen,
Have you seen this?
http://www.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/iepguide/index.html
It is hard to believe that they do not take into consideration that Garrett was institutionalized and only look at his age. Wishing you the best with getting him what he needs. It does not seem like an easy system to navigate. Hooray for the Adoption credit! Tricia
It doesn't seem to be showing up in full under the comments, but it is /index.html after the iepguide
Sorry you have to deal with red tape to get Garrett the support he needs. Really we need to change this. But I'm glad that you have a promising path.
And yay for tax rebates!
Karen--you are the one of the best mother advocates I know. Someday I will be calling you for all kinds of advice.
I hope Garrett gets the help he needs to be successful.
my heart always swells when i read your posts...I have to tell you. you are SUCH A WONDERFUL MOMMA TO THAT BOY!! It further solidies in my mind that adoption is such a miracle as the right kids are matched with the right parents who will be their advocates.
Garrett has the best parents ever-and I am so proud of you for taking the extra time (and frustration) to navigate this very complex sounding system to get your son what he needs. I think he is doing incredibly well when you consider his background. I know plenty of kids who have behavhior issues who have nothing like Garrett's lifestory.
I'm so glad you are so well connected with resources and that you are a FIGHTER. When I think of you, i think of a mama bear who is protecting her cub. That may sound cheesy...but it's true.
My prediction is that Garrett is NOT just going to survive the school system and "get by", he is going to THRIVE, because he has a momma willing to go the extra mile for him. I am so touched by you.
Way to go mom,and YAY on the tax credit. Joe does our taxes and i said, "do you know how to do all the adoption expenses?" He said..I think so.
Sean's 11th birthday (yikes, my baby is 11!!) is April 15th, so we always remember when taxes are due. :)
Joe is rather last minute.
LOVE YOU.
Hi Karen,
My sister is a Speech Pathologist and she said that when she was going to school, the students had a clinic that was very cheap. They saw many patients and many of them were people that didn't qualify for free help such as kids like Garrett and older people that no longer fit the qualifications for medicare help. She thought that the U of M might have a program like that--it would be something to check into if he doesn't qualify for special speech help. They are all students near the end of their studies--her school was in Colorado but she thought they ran a very good clinic.
Hello all
generic ambien online
Zolpidem is the source from which Ambien is extracted.
[url=http://www.igotkidsfurniture.com/]ambien sleep[/url]
Therefore Ambien drug is a very important drug and can provide us various benefits.
http://www.igotkidsfurniture.com/ - generic ambien
Some facts show that an individual in the state of Coma is brought to complete conscious state by the use of Ambien drugs.
Post a Comment