It’s been a busy time in the Williams household. In my quest to figure out the child we know as Garrett, I’ve talked to and have learned so much about special needs and the system that supports it. Tuesday night, I attended a three-hour workshop entitled, “Understanding the Individualized Education Program” at Pacer Center. If you live in Minnesota with a child/young adult with special needs, I highly recommend checking this organization out. The two women who run the show are parents of SN needs kids, so what they had to say came from a place of “been there, done that.” They went over IEP requirements, overview of evaluation, team planning, writing measurable IEP goals, adaptations, implementation and methods for resolving disagreements. It was truly time well spent. So, now I know what our rights are as parents and want we can expect from Garrett’s school. Another workshop coming up also sounds good; it teaches parents how to communicate more effectively with the school. (How about just putting a mike in my ear and telling me what to say.)
This morning was our appointment with Dr. Kroupina at the International Adoption Clinic. Dr. K is a sweet Russian woman with a heavy accent, so between her and Garrett’s lack of articulation, I had a difficult time catching everything.
This initial meeting was intended to be purely observational, a chance for her to see the G-man in action. Here were some of her initial comments: G has good interaction skills; knows who his mom is (good attachment); doesn’t understand social boundaries; not surprised that his behavior goes up and down; has no means to regulate himself (needs help organizing his behavior and feelings) and on top of that his inability to communicate makes it difficult for him to express himself and for others to understand him. For example, last Sunday we visited friends who have a five-year-old boy. Because Will couldn’t understand Garrett, he simply gave up playing with him. That's not Wills fault but it does make it hard for G right now to be social with his peers.
Although Garrett has been with us for almost a year, he still needs more time to feel secure and gain more trust. Dr. K emphasized again that we must keep things simple and regulate his environment. (Believe me, we do this in spades. Okay, we did go to Chuck E. Cheese once.) Create low stimulation with a parent present—enforce even tighter social boundaries. Provide as much structure as possible—she thinks we should go overboard on that point right now. (Sadly, this may mean we’ll have to pass on Kazapalooza this year. Basically no traveling, no unfamiliar hotel rooms and limited interactions with groups of children, he doesn’t know.) It’s okay to have one friend over the house at time.
G needs to build areas of confidence in order to become friends with other kids. (He’s really doing well with ice skating so maybe this will be a confidence booster.) We also have to get better at recognizing when he getting too wound up. If we can see it before it happens, we can help him verbalize how he’s feeling and, in turn, help him learn to regulate himself.
Next steps for us—Bob and I will meet with Dr. K next week to go over therapeutic parenting. It’s important we get support, so we can deal with him 24/7. In the meantime, we are to keep a diary and observe his behavior: document the difficult situations that come up; be very specific in regards to timing and context. Next, Dr. K will talk to Garrett’s teachers to get them in the loop. She’d also like to have him tested by a speech and occupational therapist (outside of the school district). We’ll need our pediatrician’s referral for that. She feels we shouldn’t put off speech. Four areas she’d like to work with us are his speech, security and trust, ability to control himself (impulse and aggression) and social boundaries. Then in another six months, he'll be tested for cognition.
Whew—did you get all that? At this point, instead of putting an ADHD, RAD or SID label on him, we’ll see if improving his speech (so he can better express himself) and learning to regulate his emotions will be what he needs. After all, he’s still transitioning into his new family, language and culture.
9 comments:
So glad to see such a great update - have been thinking about you lots, meaning to comment or email, and just never seem to get it done. I am SO glad you connected with PACER, I've heard great things about them. I know that in the years ahead you will have so much work to do in fighting for what Garrett needs (few if any schools will make it easy for you - but if you know your rights and are relentless, you'll get what he needs) and PACER does such a great job of making it more manageable. And I am SO glad you got in to see the dr. at the clinic. Sounds like you got some great direction and suggestions. I know it's going to be a lot of work, but sure seems like you are headed in the right direction and will probably see a lot of improvement. I can totally see what the dr. is saying in relation to having met Garrett - and how you've mentioned that some of this behavior really started to escalate after that trip (that was so awesome to do, but maybe sparked some things he doesn't know how to process?). I think too it's great the dr. wants to hold off on labels and I assume meds for now - that was my hope, there are just so many things to sort through right now. I can't imagine how an ADHD or such diagnosis could even be truly evaluated right now when there is just so much else happening in Garrett's mind and magnified by his communication and social struggles. So there you have it - my mostly unqualified, rambling comment where I say I'm so glad you've accomplished what you have, and here's to lots of improvement!
Wow, this is all great stuff Karen. Must feel good to have some concrete answers/guidelines as to what is going on and how to proceed. This is wonderful! You just continue to lay the groundwork for him to be successful. I admire your commitment and effort! He is a lucky kid.
Wow....sounds like you have a very thorough plan of attack. Just the kind of thing Garret needs from his parents!!! I applaud your actions....this is what truly loving a child is about, doing the hard things that help that child reach their true potential. Your doctor seems to be incredibly informed and educated about institutional issues and I think you are heading down the track to much better times for all involved!!
I'm so proud of you Karen! You are a great Mom, someday Garrett will know how hard you fought for him & know how very loved he is. What a wonderful doc. to give you the help & direction you need & want. I pray things get better for you all soon.
Love & hugs-
Ann
Sounds like the meeting was phenomenally helpful. Actually, both meetings. Kudos to you for getting so involved at such a deep level on your son's behalf. The work is intense, and we'll pray that the outcomes are fruitful. He's a dear boy - poor thing has gone through so much. But not poor thing anymore. He's got you two now. He must have an angel watching over him!
I am sad that we won't see you at Kazapoolza...but it certainly makes sense. I am so proud of you for doing all that you are doing for Garrett. I'm so glad there is no labels on him and that his attachment is good. I am not suprised to hear that.
I am so in awe of you-such loving parents to a very loved lil boy who is indeed blessed.
xoxooxo
Sounds like a great plan you have - and I imagine a relief to have a plan! It was probably too premature to label him as you just got home not long ago and are still in the transition period for cryin' out loud. The advice makes a lot of sense as I remember than some of the behavior regression started not long after traveling to see one of Garrett's friend from Kaz. So perhaps the extension of those boundaries - and the resulting stress - was just too much and opened a flood gate? In any case, things seem to be really looking up and I'm very happy for you!
Such a fantastic amount of feedback on Garrett -- it must feel good to have a plan in place. Just to have someone give you an idea of what to try instead of always wondering if you're doing the right thing -- some peace of mind. I remember always wondering if we should have done this or that and often times wondering where we go from there .....
You're doing a wonderful job!!!
You guys are such good parents--you are really putting forth all the effort possible to help Garrett be successful and it will all be worth it.
I am so glad you found resources that can help you as well as Garrett. I am praying for lots of improvment for you all.
Post a Comment