We'd love to hear from you. Whether it's words of encouragement (can never have enough of those), a question about the adoption process or whatever else moves you, please feel free to leave a comment.
Monday, March 2, 2009
A year ago today
It was the first time our feet touched Kazakh soil (or rather concrete). It was a weary day for me—jet lag had all but consumed me, but we were in Almaty and within another 24 hours, we'd be in Uralsk. (And closer to meeting our son.) Here we are at the top of Kok Tobe with our Canadian blogger friends, Julian and Sara (who adopted the adorable, curly haired Zoe.) Unfortunately, Sara was taking the photo, so we don't have any pictures of her. We had problems with our digital camera, and for some odd reason, all the photos from the beginning of our trip were lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I just wanted to let you know how much I admire how you are working so hard for Garrett.
I hope you see BIG improvements & that next year this time things will be easier for Garrett.
I was frustrated in Kaz a couple of times not being able to communicate with others so I can't imagine how hard it has been on Garrett.
Keep it up!!!!!
Has it really been a year! Wow! So glad to be catching up...no computer for a week has about sent me over the edge...funny how lots of things got done though...hmmmmm?
Your meeting with the Doctor sounded so good! She said lots of great stuff that sounded totally right on track for where you guys are in the journey. These sweet older ones just take longer to adjust. The overstimulation thing is sooooo much a big trigger. We saw a big change after we were able to predict when he was going "to the dark side" as we put it. So we leave and get him calmed down and we avoid tons of meltdowns now. Plus, he just adjusts better now. If we would have tried the Wolf lodge last year it would have been a disaster I know. But one more year under our belts and it was really great. He did get overstimulated still but we knew to take a nap and keep him in the room for a bit. He still doesn't sleep well in hotel rooms but we travel to family so it just has to be dealt with for us. As much as I want to see you all, I will say that Kazapalooza for us last year was EXTREMELY hard and frustrating because everyone else seemed to be having a great time and we were having constant conflict. Wish we would have known your therapist last year! :)
So glad that they are going to give Garrett more time to adjust before giving him any labels that he doesn't deserve. Nick is so different than even 6 months ago. You will be so glad that you did all this for Garrett. He will be a better adjusted kid for all of your hard work and time spent educating yourself.
BUT, I am thinking that springish or late summer we should do the Karen weekend so we can just sit and commiserate on our boys. Cinci Karen may get bored since Max is the perfectist, most smooshable cuteness but maybe his stuff will show up later and she will just be well educated! ;)
hugs! ky k
I can't even believe it has been a year! Amazing how time passes so quickly. I love the photo, makes me want to be there! :)
Kim
WOw. It has been a YEAR? Incredible. People say to me often that they cannot remember what life was like before their kids. Can you? I can. Hmmm. I don't know why I can, I just can!
Amazing. Where does time go?
Something we're going to try with the A's is this? Before we met them I got a book for autistic and asbergers children to learn about how to interact with other children and communicate with them in body language (get too close, etc). We're going to create our own book - a picture book on how to handle situations and interact - how to make choices. We're going to let the kids pose us o or have them pose themselves and the other pair take pictures. Maybe this is something you and Garret can do?
A year ago...! Wow, can you believe it? We so enjoyed meeting you that day. Kok Tobe remains one of our favorite Almaty spots.
Happy anniversary! Did you know then how that first step on Kazakh soil would change your life?
wow Karen-what a year, what a year!!!!
It's been so wonderful following your journey-especially after meeting you.
You are a courageous woman and have such an admirable spirit. I LOVE reaading your blog and I am going to love to continue to read how Garrett does.
He defintely has the right mommy in his court who is willing to take on the battles that he needs.
I can't wait to see how well he does this year-he has come a long way and I am so proud of you and him!
and-no temper tantrums on the florida weather. It's freezing for us today. :)
LOL
I know you are so busy and your hands are full-thank you for keeping your blog up to date. you will be so glad you have it to go back and read-and of course-for your friends to cheer you on. :)
Wow, a year already? That's amazing. Seriously. Hard to believe!
Post a Comment