blog). We're one week shy of the one year anniversary of Gotcha Day—and what a year it's been. When we first got home from Kazakhstan, Garrett had no idea how to pedal a tricycle. Today, he's "this close" to losing his training wheels. He's grown almost four inches and three shoe sizes. He could barely string together three words in Kazakh, now he's communicating in 6-7 word sentences, using pronouns and adjectives (in English, no less). He can count to 40 and can complete 100 piece puzzles without help. He's gone beyond parallel play—in fact, he didn't even know how to play when we first met him. All he could do was line up his toys or clean them. He was unable to cut out a shape, skip, hop on one foot or color inside the lines. He can do all of this now, some more easily than others. To this day, he's never mentioned his previous life. Not once. When shown photos of his little buddies from the preschool, he just shrugs it off. We tell him his full name is Garrett Nurlan Williams—and the name Nurlan doesn't ring a bell (even though that's what he was called for close to 6 years). How could this be?
I just can't imagine what's going on inside his head. How do you comprehend a total life change like he's experienced? The fact that he has had to totally trust us (even though he couldn't understand a word we said). Can you imagine being almost six and having to take two long plane rides to get home? Then when you do get home, there's a dog almost as big as you are that charges at you? (Remember dogs in Kazakhstan are not pets—they just roam the streets aimlessly, scared of people.) New house, new food, new bed, new toys, new school, new boundaries. Light switches and water faucets to turn and off. Doors to open and close. A fridge packed with food you've never seen before. (Hey, where's the cabbage?) Makes my head spin. Sometimes it seems like he's so far behind yet look how much he's had to overcome. Here he is at a pancake fundraiser for his school. The first picture is of him with his Kindergarten teacher, Ms. Scott who he adores. Her son Issac happens to be Garrett's best buddy—they're inseparable.
The next one he's posing with the school principal, Mrs. Nielsen. Every morning without fail Mrs. Nielsen is at the door greeting all her students.
And finally, here's Garrett with Aunt Rochelle in the background.
Now on to the other important man in my life: Bob. Last Tuesday was his final day at Northwest Airlines. I had planned a big surprise "early retirement" party for him but had to cancel due to my illness. (I still plan on throwing him one once I'm back to my old self.) Thankfully, one of his co-workers, Linda organized a party for him and two other "retirees"—Ken and LaVonne. I wasn't there, because I was sicker than a dog, but it sure looked like a lot of fun. Here's Bob with hair (scary picture but at least he wasn't wearing a lamp shade). I don't know if you can tell, but Bob's not wearing a wig. Look closely and you'll see LaVonne crouching behind him. It's her hair draped over his head. The things you do when you've got a little alcohol in you.
The four happy retirees—from left, Lynn, Bob, Ken and LaVonne. Lynn will stay until October, which is when the Minneapolis department closes. Most of his co-workers will attempt to find jobs at the terminal while six others will relocate to Atlanta. Also at this time, the "Northwest" name goes away. Another legacy airline bites the dust.
Put two bald heads together and what do you get?
Bob with Linda, the organizer. Thank you Linda.

9 comments:
Garrett looks so happy and what wonderful progress! Isn't it amazing how much (and how quickly) they learn new things?!
Hope you continue to feel better! Bob's party looked like fun - what nice co-workers!
Okay, I hope you don't think my last comment was like: come on, bring on the Garrett update. :-)
But since you posted one... wow. Amazing. It does kind of make your head spin thinking of all the change he went through, and wow- that is some pretty incredible progress. Aside from being truly one gorgeous little guy, he is so smart and determined. His progress is truly amazing. I love the pictures. He just seems so happy.
The whole fact that he never mentions his life in Kaz is interesting. It will be interesting as he gets older if and when it ever comes up.
And a year, really? That just seems crazy to me.
And happy celebration Bob. Love the bald heads picture. Too funny!
What a difference a year makes! Garrett really is a different person now... and happy! Glad that Bob got his party - looked like fun! And I'm glad that you are feeling better now! Lots of things to celebrate!
Karen,
You've been so good with posting!! I finally posted a needed update on our blog and will really try to keep doing more updates rather than trying to "catch up!"
Garrett has been amazing in his progress. I have had some worries about Audrey but when I look at her like you do Garrett I have to ease up on myself. Our kids have come a long way. Especially Garrett because he's older and has experienced so many more changes. He certainly does look very happy!
Oh man...you have been ill! I'm glad you're feeling better too.
The photo of Bob with the wig...too funny!! :) Very nice that he had a party. It looked like they had a great time.
Eileen
Karen-wow, i seriously get all emo when I think about Garrett and all he has been thru and how his lil life has been totally changed and improved. He is doing AMAZING. I know it's probably hard at times not to compare him to other boys his age-but when you stop to point out all that he's learned to do in a short year-he's SO ABOVE PAR! He is such a handsome kid-and so loved and cherished-He is going to do just wonderfully!
Great pics of Dad too-you guys have had a lot of crap fall on you this past year but you have emerged as shining stars. I hope with the coming of spring that you can shed the sickness and job frusrations and disappointments and enjoy your wonderful lil boy and each other...cuz lady-YOU ARE REALLY BLESSED.
You certainly turn lemon into lemonade and I LOVE YA MAN! :)
I can't believe how fast a year passes. Garrett is adorable, really and is making such great progress!! The bald heads are hysterical!
What an amazing life change he has endured. You sound so compassionate and loving in your words. I'm sure that is exactly what has helped him make such huge strides in his progress. He looks so handsome and happy in these photos!
Happy retirement, Bob!
What great strides Garrett has made in one year--You and He should be very proud--I know you are as I can hear it in your "voice" when you post.
big changes for Bob this year also. I am hoping for the next year to be easier and even more joyful.
I can't believe it's been a year since you met Garrett! I just breaks my heart though all that he hadn't been taught and exposed to - you know that orphanage care is lacking, but it still amaze me (not in a good way) all that he missed. I know it's been a very challenging year for you, but what an awesome, sweet, adorable little boy he is who has come such a long way. And what a fun party for Bob!
Post a Comment