Tuesday, March 24, 2009

She lives


Today is the first day THIS month that I'm feeling better. Last Monday, I was put on some heavy-duty antibiotics (Levaquin 750 mg for 10 days) after the z-pack I was on did nothing. It took eight doses before I felt the effects. I have to say, those horse pills scared the bejeebers out of me. Besides the long list of side effects, I went into a full blown panic attack trying to swallow that pill. (For those who know me, I can barely choke down an Advil.)

That night I didn't sleep a wink. Kept thinking I was going to experience an irregular heartbeat, vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage—you name it. It was awful. Next day, a nurse at my clinic talked me down from the ledge. But I persevered and conquerored my phobia and lived to tell about it. Who knew I had it in me?

Now poor Bob has come down with a cold. You think I should get a motel room for a week? (Or I could always camp out on the couch at work.)

Just a footnote: If you're experiencing a persistent cough that won't go away, please don't ignore it. (Especially if you're over 40.) I did and that's how I wound up with pneumonia.

9 comments:

marsrob said...

Thank GOODNESS you are better! And go get yourself a room somewhere safe from germs, my goodness! And when I read your "over 40" recommendation, I freaked! Holy S!!! I'm one of the people you are talking to! When did that happen?! You look GREAT!

Joby and Marla said...

I am glad that you are feeling better. It sounds like you have had it rough. Hopefully you won't catch the cold from Bob, maybe all the medicine that you have had to take is still working:)

Susan said...

well-you sure look pretty for being so sick! I hate swallowing big pills tooo! I'm glad you are better and hope that you don't catch that cold. Ya'll need some nice spring weather-that's what you need! :)

Hugs to you and hope Garrett is well and healthy and being a sweet son to his sick momma. :)

Holly Trawick said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are on your way to feeling better!
Tell Bob to wear a mask. LOL!
Take care!!

dnd82001 said...

Yeah glad you are feeling better and hope Bob is better quickly!

Darlene

Jennifer said...

You look GREAT!! And so happy too. I hear you about those horse pills. I can barely choke down Advils too. If it's not chewable, I'm no good with it!

McMary said...

So glad you are finally feeling better. Good thing you were able to put your fears aside and get the pills down. Way to go.
I hope that Bob does not get so sick and that you stay well.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

You poor thing. I am glad you are back to feeling like yourself again. And the Z pack scares the bejeezes out of me too. I hate those horse pills.
Glad you lived to tell about it :-)
I hope Bob is able to kick whatever he has soon and you are back to a healthy household soon.
How's the little man these days?

Matthew Ruley said...

What a fabulous post. Thank you for putting everything into perspective. Everyonce in a while I think about how far we have come and I wonder how I could question where we are.

Okay it was only a sinus infection but I took several weeks of antibiotice before I saw a specialist and then I needed 2 ten-day doses of antibiotics and they finally pumped me up to one 3-week dose, and then one month later another 10-day dose (all Levaquin I think) to finally combat my sinus infection. I hope that your current dosage is enough, but dont freak if you need more. I suppose we are very fragile to Kaz germs, which explains why the A's constantly also have sinus infections - from what they have encountered here. Different germs.

Feel better soon!