Friday, March 6, 2009

Yet another stinkin’ cold

I’m sure I’m about to break a world record here—my eighth cold in 10 months (for some reason, I was given a reprieve January and February). I’m so exhausted right now and I have some crazy days ahead of me. Bob leaves for Las Vegas tomorrow for four days to visit his 88-year-old mother in the assisted care facility. Given her advanced age, Bob wanted to bring Garrett along because this may be his only time he to meet his grandmother. But Dr. Kroupina, the neuropsychologist, doesn’t think it’s a good idea to expose him to a new environment (an old age home can be a freaky place to visit for a little guy—kinda like an orphanage for old people) and new people. So he’s staying behind. (Lucky me.) Please pray I can get well with a hyper six-year-old tugging away at me.

Also next week, the 14th to be exact, will be Bob’s last day at Northwest Airlines. We had hoped it would be April 14th (like they had promised) or even as late as October. But it seems they can’t get rid of people quick enough. (It was a big blow for Bob; even though he agreed to the early buy-out, he feels like he was being fired because of the lack of notice.) I guess it’s all a sign of the times.

We did have a phone conference call today with Dr. Kroupina where she shared some therapeutic parenting tips. When I’m feeling well enough, I’ll share some of her comments. I think it would help shed some light as to why our children do the things they do. Until then…

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon Karen and I hope Bob has a good visit with his mother.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I'm "Anonymous"

Matthew Ruley said...

Hey feel better. I think it was something in Kaz that you never got rid of. I'm fighting ANOTHER sinus infection - been fighting it since we got back... Had 3 mos of strong antibiotics and its back again! Oh well... Good luck with Garret and CAN"T wait to hear of the suggestions. Did you read my blog on the Special Play Time?

kitzkazventure said...

Maybe you can wait a few months and if Garrett is having a good cycle of behavior go ahead and risk taking him to see Grandmother. It would be sad for her not to meet him. So hard to know how to deal with some of these things.

Pat's sister got married soon after we got home and we had already warned them that we may not come (Pat was a groomsman) but we went ahead and tried. He actually did really well considering.....we had to deal with more "stuff"....got my worst bite mark to this date...But, all of the family got to meet him and we survived. I probably didn't feel it was worth it at the time but was glad to introduce him to everyone who may not meet him again except thru the blog.

Hope your cold gets better! Pat was sick for almost 9 months after we got home. He did all kinds of stuff. One of his doctors finally said it was a raging sinus infection that would not clear up with just regular antibiotics.

Unfortunately, the air in kaz can be Really awful for some systems....our allergies were so bad over there with all of the dust.....after the ice melted, that is. ;)

Kelly and Sne said...

I know how you feel as I have had some crud since Christmas and it seems like the same thing keeps coming back! And child care on your own can be exhausting! Well, try to get some extra sleep in the meantime so you can feel better soon.

McMary said...

Sorry to hear that you aren't feling well.
I think I told you about my sister the speech pathologist--She has said that if she would have known about neuro psychologists (she works with them now) before she went to school she would have done that. She thinks that the field is really interesting and that they can really do good things--I am so glad you found a good one for Garrett.
I also feel bad for Bob right now--with losing his job and not being able to take Garrett to meet him mom, he must be having a hard time.
I hope he has a good trip.

Susan said...

what is UP with all your colds?? I'm so sorry-that stinks!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that Bob has to end his job earlier than expected. Times sure suck right now-but I still think there is a silver lining. Joe lost his job a few years ago and it ended up being a huge blessing because he found something that is a great fit for him.

I'm sorry to hear about Bob's mom-and I am interested to hear the tips from the doc.

I hope your "hyper 6 year old" is sweet to his snotty Mommy and that you heal soon.
Do you use those sinus rinses? They really seem to help.

Sending you positive healing vibes my sweet friend!

Jack and Cheryl said...

Thinking about you and hoping that you're feeling better!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I've been fighting something too. Audrey became sick after her first real playdate. Then I did. Figures. This will probably be a pattern!

I just read your last entries and it was good to catch up and see how things are going.

There a many things that you'll be working on with Garrett. It may seem overwhelming at times. I would love to chat with you again!

I hope that you're feeling a little better since posting. I'm looking forward to hearing what Dr. K gave as parenting tips!

Take care, Eileen

marsrob said...

Good gracious, you have been sick A LOT. You poor thing! Physically, this past year has been SUPER HARD on you!!!! Your immune system has really been battered. I hope that you can catch a break and get some health and healing SOON.

And that sucks about Bob's job. I sure hope that his visit with his mom goes well and that the cliche, "one door closes, another opens" proves to be true for him & you.

And I hope that your son gives you some love and a break while Bob is gone! And it probably is a very smart move not to send Garrett with Bob...sounds like you might find he has more trouble than you all need right now.

Looking forward to hearing more! Drink tea! I'd say rest, but I know better - sigh.