Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Kindergartener no more

Hard to believe, but our boy just passed another milestone: he completed his first year of school and here's his fancy schmancy diploma to prove it. It'll be a fun day for the Gman. First, he and his classmates board a bus and head to Harriet Lake to ride the old trolley. Upon his return, he'll be greeted with ice cream floats and pizza. (You know he'll be bouncing off the walls tonight.) While most parents take photos to commemorate the "first" bus ride; we're different. Here's the last day: Then there was the Memory Book he came home withHere's a picture of Garrett with his teacher Ms. Scott. Garrett is in the red (not quite sure what he's doing).And the wonderful autograph page (I love how kids print): Then there was the before and after drawing assignment. The first drawing was his first homework assignment. I have to admit, we cheated. I pushed his hand to create this drawing. (At this point in his development all he was capable of drawing was a circle and a straight line.) Here's the drawing he did yesterday on his own at school. I do see a big improvement, don't you? At least I can tell they're people with ears, mouths, arms, legs (okay, no noses). Progress.

We also had the best weekend meeting the Robinson's IRL and reconnecting with the Ollmann's. But, unfortunately, I'll have to save that for the next post as I need to get back to work here.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Graduation Garrett!!

The memory book is so cool! And I can totally tell they are people. Such a great job!

Susan said...

awww congrats to Garrett! I am sure you are so proud. In fact, I have Sean's kindergarten graduation pics out right now and just looking at how lil and sweet he looked back then. :) His drawing was awesome-and he has come a VERY.LONG.WAY thanks to the diligence of his mama bear!

He is such a cute kid, and I can't wait to meet him IRL. (you are so funny)

Congrats to you both. :)

Summer is in full swing here. Sean goes to camp 9-12 then goes and plays "in the hood" and I will see him when it gets dark. :) Leeza has swimming lessons, then she sleeps for over 2 hours, and mommy has been really productive doing laundry, and gazing at Kaz cuties. :)

Angela said...

Congratulations, Garrett! And, yes, there is improvement in the drawing. His people are more complex than Luca's . . . I have one of Luca's drawings as my profile picture on FB right now.

I know it has been a tough year in some respects. Now, a nice summer break! You all deserve it.

Stacy said...

Aw, how awesome and what a milestone! I know it's been an incredibly challenging year and next year will probably be challenging as well. But he has come a long way, no doubt! I LOVE the memory book and that autograph page!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Congrats, Little Kazman! It is a MAJOR milestone, and you should all feel very proud! I think his drawing is amazing! There's even cute hair on the girl. He is doing so great, and I hope that you do all take time to celebrate, sugar buzz and all. We missed you terribly over the weekend, and it brought us great joy to know that you were with other adoptive parents. I'll send you more scoop asap!! Like you, it's work, work, work right now. :-)

Please give Garrett a BIG congtulations hug from each of us!!

Kim said...

Sounds like a fantastic day! Happy Graduation Garrett! I love the diploma and memory book! :)

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Congratulations Garrett!!!!!!! We've been pulling for you!...and your mom and dad, too.

The most telling features of his drawings are that there are smiles in them and that their arms are wide open for hugs! That's terrific!

Kelly and Sne said...

Happy Graduation! Sorry to have missed you all in Nashville but hope to meet you in WI. Or even MN!

kitzkazventure said...

Love the picture of the people. Shows great improvement! Happy Graduation Garrett! Nick is still working on drawing....I still haven't seen a stick figure out of him yet! Looking forward to talking more.

Julian and Sara said...

Congratulations and may there be many many more graduations to come.

dnd82001 said...

Congratulations Garrett!

Enjoy the break & the summer Momma you deserve it - you guys are doing great!

Darlene

Anita said...

Congratulations! I love the memory book! Garrett has come such a long way!

Rochelle said...

Boy, do they have big ears : )

Holly Trawick said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I still think of my time on the playground at the baby house playing for hours and hours with the little boy who would later be know as Garrett. I prayed for him for years in hopes that God would find a family for him. He haunted my soul for so long and now to be reading about him finishing kindergarten... WOW! I'm blown away every time I think of the Gman. He will forever hold a very special place in my heart.
Love you guys!