Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer? What summer?

Not sure if summer ever came this year. For most of it, it was 10º or more below normal. Not that it stopped us from having fun. In fact, there's been so much going on between speech and occupational therapies, Bob switching dealerships, getting ready for first grade, the big Uralsk gathering in Atlanta and more—it's been hard to keep up. Because each one deserves its own post, I'll leave them for another time and make this one heavy on visuals. Starting with the last game of summer soccer:Gman thrilled with his medal. Isaac and Garrett got to play on the same team. Group shot. In the fall, I'm signing him up for soccer again along with ice skating lessons and gymnastics. Next, we finished landscaping the front of the house. The Black Eye Susans have grown totally out of control. Probably will need to replant to create more balance.


Then there's our veggie garden with abundant onions, tomatoes, broccoli and peppers.



Our big, beautiful backyard tree that shades our house and keeps us cool all summer has to be cut down this winter due to a botched tree trimming job. I'm heartbroken.

Remodeling the three-season porch. Installing new windows and doors. Insulating the walls. Tiling the floor. All to give mama a retreat from the everyday. Hopefully the next photo will be of me lounging in my cozy woman den.

We also had a fun croquet match at our house. Fun for us adults. Not so much fun for the little kazman.



Next up is our trip to Atlanta and Greenville, SC. We'll be staying overnight with Anita and Charlie Khin (G's baby house buddy) and then head northeast to Gainesville, GA where Holly Trawick is graciously hosting a Uralsk reunion. (You're the best Holly.) Really excited about meeting all the families I've either emailed or talked to. After that we travel due north to Greenville to spend the remainder of our trip with Aunt Laura, Uncle Jeff and cousins Carlie and Natalie. There's also a bonus being there. Bob's daughter Susie now lives in Spartanburg, a half hour away. Coach "Q" as she likes to be called got a job coaching volleyball at a local private college. This will be Garrett's first time meeting her. I hope she likes him as much as Ryan did. Fingers crossed.

8 comments:

McMary said...

Where is summer??--August isn't getting any warmer yet either.

Great pictures. Garrett looks like he is thriving. I also love the picture of you playing croquet--all dressed for the occasion.

Have a great time on your trip--so much to do. I know Garrett's sister will love him. How can anyone not love the Kazman?

Susan said...

WHO COULD NOT LOVE GARRETT?? He is so adorable! I am so glad he loves soccer...Sean played soccer from 4 until 10..he stopped last year..I was sad. He likes football best now.

I love your house and your garden!!

I would happily send you some of our hot,humid summer your way.
I'm so ready for cooler weather!

Have fun in Atlanta!

Great update-love Garrett and his buddy and him and his coveted soccer medal. :)

You look oh so chic playing croquet. :)

kitzkazventure said...

What great photos.....I love the garden! I want a garden....teach me please!

Yeah, soccer medalist!

looking forward to all of the coming posts!

Joby and Marla said...

You are a busy woman!!!

I hope your retreat is finished soon & you can prop up your feet :)

Good Luck with 1st Grade Garrett. I love the soccer photos.

4texans said...

Great update! Love the garden pictures, too.

Jack and Cheryl said...

Garrett is an adorable soccer player! He looks so proud of that medal -- priceless pictures!

Have to tell you that Hailee is jealous of your garden. She told me to tell you that your green peppers are "beautiful" she planted some and they are still pretty small.

Thinking of you and hoping that your trip was a good one -- I agree with Susan; who could not love Garrett! He's such a charmer!

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow - you've been busy! I have to admit that I have enjoyed the WI/MN summer we've had here 'down south'. IT's usually so hot here.

Love the soccer photos - Garrett is such a cutie and he looks like he's having a great time. I can't wait for Miras to get into it too!

Matthew Ruley said...

What a great garden! Garrett gets cuter every day.