Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Papa


Today is Bob’s birthday and his big gift to himself will be taking the Delta Airlines buy-out/early retirement package tomorrow. While I support his decision, I have to admit I’m a might bit scared. (We’ll be a one-paycheck family for a while—yikes.) I’m just thankful all of this wasn’t going down last year, because the reality is, we would’ve never gotten on that plane to Almaty at the end of February, knowing the financial situation we (and the rest of the country) were in. Then we would have never have our little kazman. So this proves everything happens for a reason.

Please pray that we made the right decision and that Bob has the good fortune to find another job. If you can also throw in another pray for a speedy recovery—as I mentioned in an earlier post, he had toe surgery in December and then last week tore his meniscus in his right knee running after Garrett. (It sucks getting old. Ha.)

13 comments:

Susan said...

Happy Birthday Papa "Bob"
I hope you find another job

I think you will cuz you are cool
and it's obvious you are no fool

Times are tough, that much is true
But maybe the best time for a job that's new

Sorry to hear about the mensicus tear
Those can really be a bear

Keepin up with Garrett takes a lot
but I'm glad you give it your best shot

I hope your day brings fun and joy
and maybe Garrett will share a toy

xoxoxo
Susan

Karen said...

Susan:

Thanks for the rhyming birthday card—I'm sure Bob will get a big kick out of it. (Okay, maybe more like a small kick with his bum knee.)

Hugs back,
K

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Bob! I hope you have a wonderful year full of love and lots of good things.

I added both the job situation and recovery to my prayer list.

When I leave for work, I joke with Gigi by saying, "I'm off to work to bring home the bacon," and then I continue in my best southern accent, "Scratch that! I'm bringin' home the pork tenderloin baby!" That's what you're doing. :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! And congrats (for lack of a better word I guess) on getting that decision out of the way. Don't you wish you could just look into the crystal ball down the road and see how it works out? I'm inclined to think it was the right decision - had he not turned it down, who's to say he wouldn't have ended up out of a job anyway and with less to show for it. Man, this economy stinks!

Catalina said...

Happy Birthday!! All the best with your beautiful wife and son!! Sorry to hear about the surgery.

marsrob said...

Happy Bday to you - and may your job transition happen with ease!

Anita said...

Happy Birthday Bob! Have a great year! I hope everything gets better soon... job, knee, toe... (Susan is making we want to rhyme but I'll resist the urge) Ha!

kitzkazventure said...

Happy Birthday Papa! Will be thinking of you all during this transition time!

Kelly and Sne said...

Happy Birthday - this is YOUR year!

All the best!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Happy Birthday!!

Sending warm thoughts and best wishes.

Eileen

Matthew Ruley said...

You are in our prayers. Happy bday. Getting old sucks. Wow impressed by Susan's poem.

McMary said...

Happy Birthday to Bob.
I will wish for you to enjoy the retirement and then to find a new job just when you want it.
Also prayers for a speedy recovery.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Happy birthday, Bob, and we're keeping you in our thoughts as you transition to the next chapter of your life.

Karen, here's yet one more thing that illustrates our parallel lives. As you know, we've inched our way towards a one-income family as well. We are sending lots of positive vibes your way. Oh, how I wish we were in the same city!!