We'd love to hear from you. Whether it's words of encouragement (can never have enough of those), a question about the adoption process or whatever else moves you, please feel free to leave a comment.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
31=76
Yesterday I asked Garrett how old he was. His first reply was seven, but then he started spouting off 31, 32, 33. Of course, I corrected him, but it really hit me: when he turns 31 I’ll be 76. When he graduates from high school, I’ll 64. While none of us have a crystal ball, chances are good I’ll around for his 31st birthday. But will I be there to see him get married? Or be a part of my grandchildren’s lives? The truth is, Garrett lives in a house filled with old people and critters—and that includes our sweet, 14-year-old dog, Cody. At this point, he doesn’t know we’re old and doesn’t understand the concept of death. (And no child or adult has called me Grandma to my face.) But age is one of the reasons why Bob and I so vigilant about him receiving OT and speech therapy services (and whatever else he may need). We’re doing everything in our power to ensure he’s successful after we’re gone. Because in the blink of an eye, I’ll be 76.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
The truth is, no matter what- no matter how young or old we are, no matter how healthy or unhealthy we are, we have no control over when our time comes. I'm glad you are getting Garrett all of the services he needs and deserves, but don't focus on age. It is just a number.
And since I didn't see the birthday post until just now, it looks like Garrett had an awesome birthday party! What a fun day for everyone. It looks like they all had a blast. And yeah- opening presents is overwhelming under the best of circumstances!
Happy belated birthday, Garrett!
And I cracked up at the balloons. Love your friend's comment. It is completely all in the spin!
The truth is, no matter what- no matter how young or old we are, no matter how healthy or unhealthy we are, we have no control over when our time comes. I'm glad you are getting Garrett all of the services he needs and deserves, but don't focus on age. It is just a number.
And since I didn't see the birthday post until just now, it looks like Garrett had an awesome birthday party! What a fun day for everyone. It looks like they all had a blast. And yeah- opening presents is overwhelming under the best of circumstances!
Happy belated birthday, Garrett!
And I cracked up at the balloons. Love your friend's comment. It is completely all in the spin!
I have all the same thoughts and worries--I am 48 now and don't have my DD home yet--I am sure I will be 49 before that happens.
The important thing is that we love them, and hopefully prepare them to live well on their own--the things that any parent should do whatever their age.
We were discussing the same thing at my friend's child's graduation. She was lucky enough to graduate her child at 44 but the rest of us were sitting there with youngins not yet in Kindergarten....we just decided that our walkers would get us better seats at all their events! We must keep our humor about our maturity....that's why we have to stick together and eat caramel corn chex mix.....it has secret youthful properties!
No news yet....labs tomorrow. Hugs!
First of all, I get it, so if you ever need some empathy, come my way. Second of all, feel free to say to yourself, "phew, at least Cinci is even OLDER than Max than I am of Garrett." :-) Third, Garrett is SURROUNDED by young people at his party, and you are doing an amazing job connecting him not only to the services that will help him, but to the friends and their families who are important in his life, too. Funny, for our first adoption, no one ever said anything to me about age. When I tell people we are adopting again, people (friends, aquaintances, practically strangers) seem to feel free to mention it to me this time around. And I have absolutely heard "grandma." Huh. I can't predict the future -- except for one thing. I knew for absolute certainty that if I reached 65 and had not experienced motherhood, I would for SURE be filled with regret. I'll take the uncertainty of old age every single day over the certainty of regret.
Lastly ... I promise to sort out every matter of plastic surgery and report back to you as I chart my course. :-)
Love you guys!!!!
when Leeza is 18, Joe will be 69...I will be 59. Age is just a number...and it's hard for kids of any age to lose their parents. I Lost my mom when I was 17, she was only 42! I am 43! that freaks me out sometimes.
You are a wonderful, loving, giving mother, and you act younger and more vibrant than girls in their twenties. :)
Take that MOMMA!
Scary isn't it? Blink of an eye.
But you will be a young 76 which is the most important thing!!!!!
When you're 76 you'll be rollerblading with your grandkids ;-) I know, I'll be the same age (well, a bit older but who's counting?). After my mom died I was so thankful I had my brother that I worried that Alexa would have to deal with my death alone. But, we will all have friends and family and age be damned! I've known kids who lost a parent who was in their 30's, so we've already beaten the odds. Garrett is just lucky to have you old farts ;-)
Shannon
We're right there with you and Bob on this ..... maybe the kids will keep us young!!!
This is something that is hard to think about. I was talking to our social worker at our agency about the different programs that are still open and the age factor came up. It just stopped me in my tracks for a moment to think that this is now a real consideration with our options. It also makes me want to get to the gym to keep myself healthy for the little guy. You can't have a better motivating factor.
OK SISTER, That blog post FREAKED ME OUT! Stop with all this blink of an eye stuff! If you're aging, so am I! I get why you are so thoughtful and reflective - and I admire that. But holy moly! Now I can feel my gray hairs coming in as I write this! xoxooxoxoHUGS
You are a fantastic mother Karen. Seriously. That's what popped into my head when I read this post. You are doing everything in your power to set Garrett up for success.
You know, age is all about how you feel and how much you love your children! You are a great momma and will live a long life! You will be able to see how all your hard work with G has "paid off" when he is a wonderful man!
hi -- I'm just finding your blog now though I see we share a lot of the same blog friends. I just saw The Time Travelers' Wife and though I didn't love the movie, the passage of time is a theme that gets me. I feel it too sometimes, and my husband is almost 12 years older than I am so I feel it in that respect too. I just try to live presently and that is the best we can do-- and there but for the Grace of G-d go I.
Hugs!
Steph in Brooklyn
Post a Comment