What a week. Last Monday was my pre-travel doctor's appointment. That's when you get your immunization shots, fill up on antibiotics and ask a bunch of unrelated health and medical questions about everything and anything. Our adoption agency told us we didn't need any shots for Kazakhstan. That it was a choice we had to make. Because our visit would be a lengthy one and that we'd be living in a remote village, hanging out in an orphanage that it made good sense to protect ourselves.
The CDC recommends all travelers to Kazakhstan receive Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid and Tetanus shots. Upon your return, it’s advisable to be tested for TB, as it’s a fairly easy disease to treat. (Although I’m not sure a nine-month treatment schedule sounds easy to me.)
Well, 24 hours after my visit, I got hit with the worst cold. I’m sure it was a combination of several dead viruses coursing through my veins and my anxiety over the adoption that put my immune system over the edge. Only today am I back among the living (barely). It seems rather ironic: here I was trying to protect myself from the scary diseases and I wind up coming down with the common cold.
3 comments:
I am sorry you got sick. That is a drag. I get accunpuncture twice a month. I used to get it once a week for fertility-but now that I'm getting my kaz baby I don't care about fertility anymore. Anyway-my accupuncturist, also my good friend, was saying I should get my shots after she does a treatment since it ups your immune system. So, I am going to try that. I was just telling my husband, you know, we should go get our shots. I hate shots too.
i havent' done it yet though.
I hope you feel better.
Karen.. I ended up sick after my immunizations too, and kept blaming it on the shots. Everyone around me knew I was crazy, though, because I kept saying it TB I got from the shots-- which of course was impossible because I only got a TB test and it was all sorts of hepatitis that I was immunized against!
Feel better!
you motivated me. I just got my shots. :)
An hour wait in the healthy dept, I got Hep A, typhoid and Tetenus. I decided not to get Hep b, since I don't plan on having any "relations" with Kazak's or having any blood tranfusions.
I am getting accunpuncture tomorrow though to boost my immunity.
thanks for the motivation. OUCH. it hurt.
Post a Comment