Sunday, September 9, 2007

To blog or not to blog

Why did we start this blog? At first it seemed like a great way to keep our friends and family informed of where we were in the adoption process. Particularly while we were in Kazakhstan where it should make for a more interesting read. Then, after reading so many other adoption blogs, we realized there was even a far greater audience out there: those just embarking and those even further along in the adoption process. (As you can see from our comment section.) It's this group that gets what we're going through. And although we've never met, we feel a real connection to you guys. You understand the long periods of waiting; the frustation of having everything ready to go, except you're stuck because one document is missing and it's totally out of your hands. You get it when people ask when you'll be going to pick up your child and your answer is "if things go as planned we're hoping for December--but it may go as far out as March. You know, we really don't know."

But, ultimately, it's turning into a personal journal that we hope to share one day with our adopted son. He'll get to read how much we wanted him and what we went through to bring him home. And perhaps one day he'll want to share that story with his children.

7 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

I understand. There are binding companies that can make your blog into a book. Thats what I hope to do with ours.

Our dossier made it to the Ministry of Education last week! The waiting and completed adoption families responded on our blog to this news, but friends and family don't really understand, even when we tell them in person and explain what it means. (I suppose that I could say, they'll send it to the proper region and that's equivalent to labor??!) We're not sure when we'll go - could be as early as next month or as late as the end of the year.

Non adoptive families say, its like waiting for a real baby! And although I'm sure in some ways it is (like nesting and being emotional), no its not. Most birth parents know when the child arrives: what the age, approx the size, the quantity, the expected arrival date, what the child will look like approx, and sometimes the gender. All of those are unknown to me (we requested two and didn't specify anything other than health and under the age of three).

Yes, blogging adoption parents are the best. And reading their blogs bring me hope when I feel this is not going to happen.

If you want to read our blog, email me at ruley at tampabay.rr.com

Gretchen said...

I completely understand how you feel. You will be amazed at the responses you will get from people all over the country from your blog. It is so encouraging. The best to you and your family!

Susan said...

AMEN SISTAH! in fact, when I was reading this, I got all teary eyed.
Now, my friends just say, um, did you get that form yet that you need? NO, IF I DID, YOU'D KNOW IT! :)

I have become super addicted to blogs. In fact, I think I have close to 10 that I check everyday. It's truly a unique group of people that choose to adopt, and I am loving getting to know people, like yourselves.

It's so weird to be decorating a nursery, shopping for car seats, and buying clothes, for a baby that you're not sure when you'll meet or how old the baby will be, or even if that baby is a girl, or a boy. I have purchased all pink since we are requesting a girl, so if God wants us to have a son, he's going to be pink for awhile. :)

Jennifer said...

Hear, hear!! I've been home for 6 weeks and I'm still checking blogs. What can I say- it's an addiction! Actually I like the silent "bonding" between all of us. Again, I'm sure that sounds dorky to a lot of people, but it's really nice to have a group of (usually) women who have been there, done that, and it's also great to celebrate the success of those who are waiting and remember my own feelings of excitement at each milestone.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

We're there with you, Karen! We are honored to be following along. We are waiting on our I-171 (like Susan!), and we keep saying "early next year" when people ask us to predict a travel date. They tend to look at us dumbfounded. Whatever. :-) We look forward to following your journey! Karen in Cincinnati.

The Cook said...

I had moments where I was going to give up on blogging but it has been such therapy and I have met soo many awesome people. We are going to have our blog turned into a book (we found a company that does this) and we know Sophie will always treasure it, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Anonymous said...

Karen and Bob - Write it all down. This journey, will be well worth the wait the first time you hear Mom or Dad.
We are thrilled for the three of you!
Congratulations!
with love...
Mike, Suzanne and Jack