Friday, September 14, 2007

Sounding like a broken record

Every Thursday I check in with our social worker about the status of our I-171H. Here’s the email exchange from yesterday:

Hi Jane:

Hope you're having a good week. Just checking in to see if any I-171H approvals have come in. Last week, there were none, as I recall.

BTW I was reading someone's adoption blog; this woman (who lives in Tampa) was also waiting for her approval. She actually called her local USCIS office to inquire on the status and was told they'd do some research and call her back. It turns out there was some confusion with her home study as to how many children she was approved for. She called her social worker (who straightened things out immediately) and now expects to have her approval this Friday.

Do you think it would help speed things up if I called our local office?

Karen

Her reply to me:

No. Our CIS does department does not allow inquiries from families. They tell families to have their social workers call and inquire AFTER 90 DAYS. Our CIS does not even accept phone calls from us—e-mails are the only way to communicate with them.

I saw an approval come through yesterday for a family whose HS was sent into CIS the end of June and one from the beginning of July.

One more comment—our CIS office is really good about inquiring when they have a question. In fact, I received an e-mail last week form the CIS rep asking if I could clarify a few things form the home study. I wrote her back right away and she approved the file that same day. They ask us questions all the time and a file would not just sit there. They are at least really good at that.

I know it is frustrating waiting, but keep in mind that each CIS office is different.

My email back:

I figured things work differently from state to state. I guess you can't fault a girl for asking. :-) Thanks for clarifying the situation. You're right; I'm just antsy right now.

And her reply:

No problem—I understand. I have a few other families in the same boat who check in regularly about CIS. It is too bad they are taking so long. At some point, they will have to add some help and start to get those processed quicker.

Jane

My last feeble attempt:

One last thought—does the local office have a website that allows you to check on your status? That way I'm not bothering anyone.

No reply back from social worker.

So, at this rate, I figure it’ll be Thanksgiving before we see anything (that’s 3 months from when our home study/fingerprints were submitted).

Oh, for cripes sake.

5 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

I think there is a website where you can track your I-171. I can't remember what it is and you need some tracking code on tht form. Send out a query to one of the listservs as to what this website is. I never tried it when we were waiting for the document.

The Cook said...

Kazapalooza?

Gretchen said...

That stinks. We had trouble with ours too as I recall. (the 171-H not the SW:) I think M & S are right about there being a website. Good luck.

The Cook said...

My homestudy agency told me nmot to call about the 171 either but after a while I said screw it and called anyway

Susan said...

They told me not to call too, but I did, and i'm the one that got it on Friday. AND I GOT IT.
and, you can't check online.
I tried, and our receipt number isn't the same as the immigration one.
I bet it doesn't take 3 months.
I bet you get it this week. :)
i will say all my prayers that you do.

and, just wait. It's such an unimpressive piece of paper.