Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la

Sorry I've been slacking on the blogging lately. This time of year is always difficult to keep up with things. But this year it's been particularly hard. Starting with the weather. It's been an unusually cold and snowy December (it feels more like late January) and the bands of snow and artic temps keep coming. Another round is due tomorrow. Bad weather means you need to add at least an hour or more on to your day. More time to shovel driveways, scrape windshield ice, sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic and deal with a little guy who refuses to put on his snow pants, boots, hat, mittens and jacket (even if it is 20º below). Then there's holiday shopping, which I'm SO way behind on (unfortunately, most of our out-of-town family will be getting Happy New Year's gifts, not Christmas presents), holiday cards (done), tree decorating (not done), etc., etc. So here's a shot of our sad, little fake tree with lights and no ornaments. Happily, Garrett doesn't know the difference.He also hasn't seen or met Santa Claus, because when I asked who Santa was, his reply was "Ms. Scott." (That's his Kindergarten teacher.) When asked again, he said, "Mommy." Smart boy. We decided to give him his pre-Christmas gift, a little boom box to play all his nursery rhymes. He loved it so much, he poured bubbles into the CD player. So now all that's working is the radio and tape deck. (It took him only 6 days to break it.)

Another fun first: Garrett and papa went to the sliding hill. (Mommy couldn't participate due to the bum shoulder.)While there haven't been any Santa or reindeer sightings, Superman did make a brief appearance last Sunday. I think Superman would make a great Santa's helper, don't you?

Another first: we missed Sharon's annual holiday party (the first one in 14 years). We were all set to go, but Garrett was tuckered out from sledding and asleep by 7:30 p.m. (I definitely felt like a mother and not a carefree, single woman that night.) More firsts: Bob's daughter Susie is graduating with a Master's Degree this Friday. Bob is flying down to Lincoln tomorrow to attend the ceremony at the University of Nebraska at Kearney along with his son Ryan. Congrats Susie—we're thrilled about your big accomplishment. Then on Monday, Bob is scheduled for toe surgery. Something about bone spurs, unrelenting pain, arthritis and spending the balance of his Flex plan. So as you can see, we're having a great time doing absolutely nothing holiday related. (There isn't even a holiday program at Garrett's school—what's up with that?) Oh well, If only we we could muster up the energy to decorate the tree. Wish us luck.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow! You guys sound so busy! What's up with the no holiday program thing at school?! What a bummer. At least you're getting things checked off the list. My cards finally arrived today, but I still have to do all the writing and sending part!

That sledding hill looks like so much FUN! I bet Bob will be spending many hours there over the next few months. :-) And if it puts the kids to bed at 7:30, all the better!

Hope you have fun getting all the holiday and non-holiday stuff done in the next week. WEEK!! Ahhhh!!!

Kim said...

Oh boys are so good for breaking things within hours of its arrival! I love the sledding pictures. I would have been in bed by 7:30 too. :)

McMary said...

Yes it has been freezing here--this shouldn't happen until January.
Christmas is going to be so fun for you this year--despite the bum shoulder(Karen) and bum foot(Bob) because you will have Garrett and he will have you.

kitzkazventure said...

I bet Garrett will "get" Christmas much more next year. With Nick, the first Christmas we kept it so simple (very few ornaments on the tree too, ha!)because the stimulation of everything else was plenty....the business, the crowds, the change in schedules, etc. might be enough for him to deal with without trying to have the perfect first Christmas....so don't worry too much if you haven't got it all together. He has the best Christmas gift....you and Bob! Garrett may do fine because he is older than Nick was but we just let Nick go with the flow.....he participated when he wanted to and we left early if we needed to. It was kind of hard on us but the rewards of this second year make up for it definitely.

I just realized I mis-ordered my Christmas cards by 50 so let me join you in saying, some things just might be late this year! ha!

Have a wonderful, wonderful holiday with your family. Send some of your snow down to TX so we can have some for Christmas too! :)

Luckily we just had some here in Ky so at least there was a little snow for him to play in to feel festive!

Susan said...

My friends are complaining that it's in the 70's this week, but I for one am happy, not sad. Sure, I like chilly weather, but I will take this over the whole snow ice thing anyday..BUT, I would love the sledding scene. :)
Sean is so jealous-that looks so fun!

Bob's toe surgery is right up there with Joe's sinus surgery, BUT, it made us get in gear and get the decoratin done before he went under the knife. We even have a dvd of his surgery. It's gross man!

Sean's holiday show is tomorrow at 1...I am sure we will not be able to sit there quietly and watch the show. At Sean's most recent musical play, we had to play on the sidelines and Leeza yelled loudly when she saw her brother. It was quite comical. :)

I'm sorry you had to miss your party, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! I wouldn't worry about the tree, etc....you got one up-that's what matters.
Garrett won't know the difference and his best gift is you guys. :)

Sean was a big help this year and helped decorate a lot!

congrats to Bob's daughter for graduating. :)

Don't sweat the small stuff and the blessed thing about the holidays is that you are all together.

I was so exhausted about 6 pm tonight but I ate some godiva chocoalte I got as a gift and I got a real pick me up, so it's 9:20 now and I am being productive. :)

Sorry Garrett broke his new toy-Leeza broke my new fun Christmas bracelet, and 2 pairs of my sunglasses already.

Fa la la la la la la la la indeed. :)

Rochelle said...

Okay Karen, you are hilarious and should be writing more than a blog.

I especially love the photo of Superman. It's good to see that Garrett is out sledding. I wonder if they ever did that at the baby house?? That is weird there is not holiday program at school -- that would have been fun.

Don't feel bad, I have one card out, no tree and shopping to do and I have nobody else to look after except Lilly and Lolly.

Happy Holidays!!

Rochelle

marsrob said...

The snow play looks SO FUN and you guys sound like you are going crazy with so much stuff on your plates. Sometimes it is hard to get into the holiday spirit. Anyways, glad to hear from you - was hoping everything was ok!

kitzkazventure said...

Hey, I meant to tell you that Garrett's sled looks Kazakh...the one picture has some yellow on the back so it looks like a sled version of the flag! :)

By the way, I don't consider windows a frivolous buy! We asked for and received a freezer for our garage from Pat's parents.....sometimes you do "need" stuff! ha! What I really hate are those 100 type of eyeshadow or lip gloss packs and the gift packs that people just buy and nobody really wants...ugh!:)

Unknown said...

Isn't it sad that the schools can't do holiday programs anymore? It's a real shame.

the sledding looks like a ton of fun. wish we had hills here, too flat for sledding.

love all the photos and your tree is very lovely even if it is small.

Julian and Sara said...

Hi Karen and Bob,

You mean Christmas is next week? Already? We haven't gotten around to decorating yet. And since we are headed to my parents' in WI next week, I think I'll just let Zoe enjoy their decorations and take a pass on our own this year.

Today we blogged about the Tofurky contest and gave credit to you and Bob. Just thought you'd like to know!

Merry Christmas!
Sara

Kelly and Sne said...

I guess you have been busy! And busy shoveling yourselves out too. While I actually love MN and WI in the winter because you all have snow for sledding and cross-country skiing (it melts here too fast), I DO NOT miss 20 below! Garrett looks like he's getting the hang of Winter and Christmas though!

Jenni said...

Love the Kaz-colored sled! And, man, what a sledding hill! We live in the flatlands of Ohio... grrrrr.