Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A funny thing happened on the way to the…


Last week, Bob and I had our fingerprint appointment with the USCIS. Before I go too far here’s what we went through to get to this appointment: we first had to select a country where we wanted to adopt. Our first choice was Vietnam, so we filled out the lovely salmon colored I-600A Orphan Petition for International Adoption with all that country’s particulars. Well, after learning how long it was going to take to adopt from Vietnam, we switched to the faster processing country of Kazakhstan, which meant we had to redo all the paperwork.

Then in mid-July we found out that USCIS was increasing its fees (close to $250) by end of month. That put us into a tailspin, because you need to include “certified” copies of birth, marriage and divorce decrees along with the application. The problem was Bob’s divorce decrees were not certified. He needed to get to Chicago (where his divorce decrees were issued) in a hurry. No problem, he works for Northwest Airlines. Think again, not one seat was available on standby. His only option was to drive. Talk about being a trooper, he left our house in Minneapolis at 2 a.m. in order to beat the morning rush hour traffic in downtown Chicago. He then drove to another office in the western suburbs of Chicago and was home by 7 p.m.

Finally, we mailed our documents to the USCIS office in Bloomington, MN. A week later we received this very official looking document, stating when and where we need to be to get fingerprinted. It also stated no cell phones and no cameras. But the problem was it’s a month out. Urgh…

On a side note: one week prior to our appointment, our notarized home study was sent to USCIS under separate cover (who knows why it needs to be there a week beforehand). Anywhoo the big day arrived. I wanted to take a picture of the building, figuring it would be very grand given the letter we received. Not. Rather, it's in an ugly strip center. We get there and Bob walked up to the door, pulled out the camera and took aim when all of a sudden two people from inside the office rushed him. You’d think he was committing a Federal crime. He explained that the pictures were for our adoption blog. Somehow he talked himself out of being deported. I was flabbergasted to say the least. So we behaved ourselves after that. The process took just 5 minutes and we were done. Now all we can do is wait and wait and wait for the I-171H form to arrive. Urgh...

6 comments:

Susan said...

LOL you are so funny. We had our fingerprint appointment on July 28th, and left our cell phones and camera's in the car. We didn't have to wait too long, but the document you get telling you have your appt is very "official" and says IF YOU DO NOT SHOW UP, WE WILL CONSIDER YOUR REQUEST ABANDONED" or something like that.

So, yeah, we've had our fingerprints done for almost a month, and our homestudy was turned in August 9th. So, now we wait. It's very frustrating. I just now decided as I was getting very depressed when it didn't come in the mail today, that i'm going to stop being sad when it doesnt' come.
We will go when we're meant to go.
I just hope it comes before our documents expire. Or before kaz changes the law and decides we're too old, or now it will take 5 1 month long trips, or something wacky like that.

From this poing onward, we will only think positive, and we will NOT BE SAD when we don't get our document. We will just take this time to get organized. I am going to go clean Baby kaz's closet out.

Matthew Ruley said...

It seems to take forever for these things, and the process is truly a lesson in patience and flexibility. We waited so long for our 171H that we had to change countries and do the whole dossier all over again (I mean it was DONE except for this one document). The waiting doesnt get easier, but I understand that the final product (a beautiful baby) is worth the process! Suzanne

Gretchen said...

That's a great story. Too bad you didn't get a picture of them charging him at the door. FYI, the Embassy in Kaz doesn't allow cameras either. They search your bags and take all electronics at the door. :)

Barb said...

Great story... Chicago.. Bloomington .. all scenes on the way to your destination!

The Cook said...

you guys are such rebels. I remember our prints too and itr was in the same kind of strip mall. Hope your 171 comes much faster then ours (12 weeks)

Chris & Christy said...

Boy do I remember that ugly strip mall too, just a couple months ago I too was there getting my fingerprints. :)

What a wonderful man you have, to drive to Chicago just for his divorce decrees!!! :) That is awesome! Motivation!

Your fellow adopting Minnestoan,
Christy