This young lady is just three weeks away from walking down the aisle. (No, not that aisle silly.) On the evening of Monday, June 8th, Sade will cross the stage in cap and gown to receive her HS diploma. (Insert loud applause here.) We've talked about it and I have played this night over and over again in my head—and now 11 years later, it’s almost here. Of course, there is a small matter of couple of credits that need to be made up, but I'm hoping it won't prevent her from achieving her big goal. She has worked so, so hard to make up for lost time; she has truly overcome the odds and is a poster child for making good choices. Yaay Sade—you are a real inspiration to me. Post high school, Sade has been accepted to Normandale Community College. She's submitted all her financial aid paperwork, and once she hears back, she'll take a few college placement tests to see whether she qualifies for additional academic support. This college thing is HUGE—no one in her family has ever gone to college—actually only her sister Rosalie has ever graduated from HS. If this not a testament to the Big Brothers Big Sisters program, I don't know what is. But I have to be truthful. Over the years, I have banged my head and questioned my relevance many, many times. There were times I just wanted to give up, but could never do it, because she needed me (even when she pushed me away). She needed one adult in her life that showed up and kept her word. (Something her mother wasn’t always able to do.) I'm honored to have been that person.
Switching subjects to Garrett (the other little important person in my life). He’s grown a lot lately—this past week, he’s learned to ride a two-wheeler; master sight words and spurted another ½ inch. But even more incredible, look how much he’s changed physically. Here’s a picture of him from last May.
Now compare him in the photo at the beginning of this post. Is this the same child? Whoa Nelly.
15 comments:
LOTS of good news lately!
Congrats to Sade!! -- that is wonderful and congrats to you for hanging in there against all odds. You seem to have a knack for that : )
Wow, so many congratulations to dole out in this comment!
First, for you, my friend Karen. When Sade crosses the stage, you better be twisting and turning to get your arm around yourself and patting yourself on the back, because there is no doubt that your influence is a key reason she is walking across that stage. There were many times that Sade could have given up, especially if you had given up on her. But, you kept at it -- through moves, lack of phone numbers, exhaustion, teenager disinterest, etc. And, she kept at it, through all of those same obstacles and more.
Sade, you have grown into a wonderful young woman, and we are so proud of you! WAY TO GO! Here's to putting those few nasty little remaining credits to bed, and moving on to college. AWESOME!
Then, there's Garrett. He has always been adorable -- downright cute (and as I have posted before, I think he's even better looking in person than the pictures do him justice -- and he takes really good pics!). But, oh my, he is now really growing into over-the-top handsome! Seriously, does it take your breath away? I know that he can be a handful at times, but I hope you see how much your time and love (and Bob's too) is making a difference. He is figuring it all out, and his smile is just so natural and loving.
We are really going to miss you in Nashville, but we admire you so much for choosing what is right for your family. We will figure out how to have our own mini-palooza soon enough!
Gosh Karen, you have a little heartbreaker on your hands. The minute that boy decides he likes girls after all, you're going to have them lined up at door a mile long!
Congrats to Sade! What a huge accomplishment!
Sade's accomplishment is phenomenal. It is a true testament to her inner spirit and YOUR support and guidance. You BOTH have a lot to be proud of.
And speaking of proud of, go Garrett in all of those new accomplishments. I bet you are all so proud of him as well. Seems like he is continuing to grow by leaps and bounds. And the photo comparison is crazy. He is such a good looking little guy. You are going to have your hands full in a couple of years with the girls knocking down your front door!
Ha. I didn't see Jen's comment before mine. Great minds think alike. Basically, you are screwed, Mom. The girls are gonna be knocking!
Karen-I certainly hope you question your "relevance" NO MORE! I have loved hearing about your postive influence of Sade (what a beautiful girl she is!) and I am so glad she HAS YOU! It's amazing all she has achieved "against the odds". you are such an amazing woman!
and look at your influence on Garrett! He is doing awesome-and it's not just because of Kazakhstan. :)
He is devastingtly handsome-I mean ..turn your head, that guy is Hot kind of gorgeous. and NO ,do not worry, i am not hitting on your 6 year old. :)
Kudos to you for making such a positive light in these kids lives-you turned it around for both of them.
:)
Awwww, you gotta love the then and now pics. Can you believe how much our boys have grown. Garrett is soooo handsome...what will you do!?! I can't believe how much he has changed and grown. You know, our speech teacher swears that Nick has behavior issues and/ or craziness shortly before a growth or developmental advancement....looks like Garrett may have the same tendencies...two wheeler and sightwords! woo,hoo big guy!
Big Hugs and High Fives to Sade! I know how much this means to you and her! What a happy day that will be for everyone. Enjoy it, big sis!
Congrats to both Sade and you--togehter you have both stuck it out and have accomplished a huge goal. You are both awesome.
It is amazing the difference in Garrett in one year. As everyone else said he extremely handsome but what strikes me the most is how absolutely happy he looks now--all your efforts with both of these kids has paid big dividends. You are so lucky to have each other. As I have said before, you are a mom I hope to emulate some day.
Congrats to Sade and to you Big Sister! And WOW, Garrett looks like a different child. That is amazing what a difference a year makes. He's cute as ever, but growing up :)
Wow!! Isn't it amazing to see how much they have changed. Garrett really does look so different - not just physically either. His facial expression is so much more open and joyous.
Wow that is so great! You must be so proud!
Both are testaments to how wonderful you are!
Great news on all fronts! And Garrett is one handsome dude ;-)
WHOA is RIGHT> That is a MAGNIFICENT transformation. UNREAL. What a handsome boy!
And what a beautiful thing you have done as a Big Sister. WOW. HUGE accomplishments for that young lady! Congrats on that too!
Congratulations Sade!! And to Karen for seeing her through. It is a wonderful success story.
And Garrett... Wow, what a cutie!
Post a Comment