Friday, April 4, 2008

Gotcha Day April 3rd

Please forgive me for not posting the past couple of days. It's been crazy but all good. Bear with me as I attempt to play catch-up: We were back in court the next day at 10 am. Surprisingly, I wasn't as nervous as I was in pre-court--maybe because I was battling a cold and other assorted ailments. We were all waiting in the hallway (us, our three agency reps, the orphanage director, the social worker from the Dept. of Education, the woman from Vital Records and the prosecutor) when out of the blue this little old grandma shows up. Now mind you, this judge only oversees international adoptions, so my mind starts racing. Could this woman be Garrett Nurlan's long lost granny? Does she want him back? All it takes is one relative to show up to put our adoption in jeopardy. She sat with us for one hour. Finally I shared my fears with Yulia. She laughed and told me this was a closed session, which meant no one knew about it. Talk about breathing a BIG sigh of relief.

Finally, the judge appeared and we started our hearing. Bob prepared a written speech to read to the court. (In Kaz, the men do all the talking--I'm supposed to just stand and say that I support my husband. Those who know me will get a chuckle out of that--Karen had to keep her big trap shut.) When he stood up and started reading, Yulia told him to just speak from the heart--plus, he had to make 5 vital points--which was easier said than done. And he did it perfectly. I was so proud of him. Next the prosecutor asked us questions (she was very gentle on us) and then the director of the orphanage and the social worker had to state to the court why they thought we'd make great parents. Nurlan has been institutionalized his entire life. The records showed that not one single person in 5-1/2 years ever paid him a visit. When I heard that it broke my heart. (Think about it, we were his very first visitors.)

After everyone spoke, the judge announced a 3-hour break to review the recommendations and our dossier for one last time. We'd meet again at 3:00 for his decision. Everybody congratulated us (even though it felt rather premature to do so).

We got back at 3:00 and this time everyone stood for his decision. He spoke for about 10 minutes. The entire time I was fighting back tears. I was so overcome with emotion--it was finally happening after 20 years, I was going to be a mother. By the time he was done, my tears were gushing over like Niagara Falls. I'm a mother to the sweetest, most loving little boy. What more can I say? It's the greatest honor I've ever received.

We were scheduled to pick up Nurlan 5:30 pm that same day, so we rushed to buy cakes and treats for his group. It's customary to throw a little going away party. In the end that party had to be delayed for the morning. The social worker at the Dept. of Education had to be present and she was called away for a late meeting. Turns out the meeting was about MORE new rules from Astana for international adoption. (I can't even image what.)

Next day, we got to the orphanage and Nurlan was super excited to see us. He took us up to his group (8 boys and 5 girls) where they were waiting for cake and treats. I have the most adorable pictures I promise to share (again I can't until I can find a way to download photos to a CD). Each child stood up and said his/her speech to Nurlan. Some said he should be a good boy and mind his mama and papa. Others told him to not to forget him. Most wished him a good life.It was heartbreaking to watch. The party was all too brief--we were told the orphanage director wanted to see us. In the end, each child planted a kiss on his cheek. We finally got to see where he slept and took showers (even his little cubby).

We said our goodbyes to all the staff and jumped into the car. He did good most of the day until we hit late afternoon. That's when it hit him, he wasn't going back to his group. Understandably, he had a mild melt-down. (I think it didn't help that he went without a nap and that we couldn't understand a word he was saying.) By 9pm, he had cried himself to sleep. He awoke this morning at 7 am and was as happy as a clam. Today so far, he's been as good as gold.

We booked tickets to Almaty for next Wednesday, the 9th. It's a late flight and will arrive in Almaty around 2 am (yikes). Our U.S. Embassy appointments are for Thursday and Friday. If all goes well (we get Nurlan's visas and exit paperwork in time) we should be able to depart Almaty on Sunday, the 13th for the long trip home. If not, we'll be here longer.

I'll try to post as often as possible, but it's more difficult now that we no longer have a driver at our disposal. (How it works: You lose your driver and interpreter after you take custody of your child. Didn't know that until we got here.) Taking taxis and attending to Nurlan (he doesn't like hanging out at internet cafes as much as his mama) makes it harder to keep in touch.

Thank you to everyone for checking in on us. The beginning of this trip was hard and although it's not over yet we really appreciate your encouraging words and comments. We are truly far from home, but in the last couple weeks I've actually grown to like Uralsk. We've met some really cool locals who've helped us understand what life is like here.

So I will end here. Life is good for us. Hope the springtime is bringing warmth to your hearts.

Paka-paka,
Mama & Papa Williams

28 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations! I am so happy to hear that everything went smoothly. I am totally crying as I write this, I can't even imagine what it was like to sit there and watch all those little kids say goodbye. Breaks my heart. I wish you a safe flight to Almaty and a safe one home. Enjoy the rest of your time Kaz Mama!

Kim

Kristen (and Cary) said...

YAH. It's official --- what a relief, now you just need to go through the motions. I feel for him as I know all these changes must be very frightening. We are keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers. (FYI-my 5 year old is an absolute bear when he gets tired and hungry.)

Jodi said...

Many, many congratulations on officially being parents to your beautiful boy! I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly and you are soon home and beginning the rest of your life as a family.

Jodi

Sandi said...

Congratulations. I have been checking in daily. I am so happy that things ended smoothly. I hope you can start you journey home next week.

I am sure it must have been overwhelming to see Nurlan say goodbye to his Kaz family, but he is going to be great with his forever family.

Safe travels to Almaty and home.

Sandi

Susan said...

oh wow, as i sit here crying....I am so happy for you guys. I'm SO SO SO HAPPY. You are fulfilling 2 dreams...yours to be a Mom (and bob to be a dad, of course) and for Garrett to have a family to love him. It breaks my heart to know that no one ever visited him--ever. That is heartbreaking. I know you are going to have a wonderful life together. I am so happy for you!!!

All these new rules make my stomach hurt....

xoxooxxo

SO HAPPY FOR YOU MOM!!!

Angela said...

All I can say is a tearful CONGRATULATIONS!

Diana said...

Wow! I've got tears running down my face.

Congratulations!

Holly and Dean said...

Congratulations and Happy Gotcha Day! We are so happy for you!

Holly and Dean

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!

And now the REAL show begins :-)

Jennifer said...

Congratulations Mama and Papa!! What wonderful news to hear on a Friday morning.

I hope the rest of the paperwork goes smoothly so you can get back to some beautiful MN weather next week!!! (This time I'm not being facetious about 'beautiful' - it's really supposed to be almost 60 today.)

Yay! Congratulations again. How exciting!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Phew! It is SOOOOO good to hear from you!! And, we are so happy for Bob, you, and Nurlan Garrett that your family is now official. Congratulations! We are thrilled that you have found this happiness, and we wish you the very best over the coming days as you all settle in together.

qmiller said...

Many, many Congratulations to the 3 of you! Much happiness in your first official days as a family!!!
Quaintance

McMary said...

Woohoo--Congratulations seems like such a small word for this special wonderful awesome occassion but I can't think of another one.
I am so happy for you to be a mother after 20 years and for Nurlan who has found a loving familiy after 5 years of no visitors and for Bob too. All is well.

Rochelle said...

Yippee!! There is more than spring warming my heart -- CONGRATULATIONS!!

Who was the mystery grandma woman???

Safe and happy travels, can't wait to see you in a few weeks and meet Nurlan.

It is definitely warming up here, in the 50's now and we'll be getting spring-time rain this weekend.

There is much to be thankful for.

You'll be in my thoughts and I'll be checking in!!

Love to your whole family, Rochelle

Kelly and Sne said...

That's wonderful news! Congratulations on becoming momma and papa to Nurlan officially. And I'm so glad that you were able to get immediate custody.

Have a wonderful trip to Almaty with your new family!

Alaina said...

This brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy for you! And I'm so happy that another beautiful child has found his forever family! Congrats you guys!

Anonymous said...

What a relief! It is official now Heartiest Congratulations!!!

I wish you a safe flight to Almaty and home.

Thad and Ann said...

Congrats!! I have tears reading about the goodbye party & no one ever visiting him....how heartbreaking! Hope you have a safe flight to Almaty & evreything would go smoothly so you can come home when you planned.

marsrob said...

Oh my goodness I am in tears reading this magnificently happy post! Congratulations! What a beautiful thing - you are a mommy!!!! Wow, I am so moved I am feeling like rushing in to wake my daughter up from her nap (but I won't, smile). Seriously, what a joy!

And the fact that you are his first visitors ever. Wow. It is unfathomable and that little boy of yours sure waited for the greatest visits of all! I am sure when he gets older he'll know how worth the wait it was!

Safe travels and our warmest wishes for a wonderous first few weeks as parents!!!

dnd82001 said...

C O N G A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

My wishes for the rest of your journey be filled with smooth roads and happiness for all from here on in!

Blessings,
Darlene

Burning Khrome said...

Fantastic! I am so delighted that this part of your journey is resolved. I can't imagine how nervous we would have been if the judge had told us to come back in three hours. We sat in that room with Yulia and Natalya and reading your description put me right back there. (Please say 'hi' to them from Laurie and Terry Anderson if you have the opportunity.)

Congratulations!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I started reading and the tears just came. Congratulations to the three of you!! I'm very happy for you.

When you get home Garrett will see many firsts - his new room and toys, etc. Most importantly a mom and dad to love.

Big Congrats,
Eileen

Lauralee said...

Reading this entry first brought chills and then came the tears. I am so excited for the both of you and can't wait for you to arrive home. I can't wait to spoil my new cousin.

TanyaLea said...

C O N G R A T S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That is just wonderful, wonderful news!! Like everyone else, I was in tears as I read about Garrett Nurlan's goodbye to/from his friends at the orphanage. I'm sure that will be a day that none of you forget! It saddens me to think that he has spent his entire life in the orphanage, yet you and Bob are the first visitors. I guess it was meant to be "for such a time as this."

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS on officially becoming "mama and papa"... MN can't wait t welcome all of you home!! We will continue to pray for a safe trip to Almaty and home. God bless you all!! <><

~Tanya~

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations! We're so happy for you two - - can't wait to meet the little guy!

Brent, Anne, and Will

KMartin said...

Congratulations to you! This is Keith Martin here. We are in Almaty trying to recover from our jetlag. We fly to Uralsk tomorrow. Perhaps we will see you. Don't know the baby house we are going to or where we will be staying. Supposedly they have an apartment reserved for us. We will catch up with you later. Best wishes to your and he who is newly yours!

Keith and Erin Martin

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mama and Papa! I hope the transition is as smooth as possible for your son. I am happy for you that they waived the waiting period, that is a true blessing.

sabarter said...

I am so excited for you. Yes leaving the orphanage is bittersweet and the little souls there will always remain with you.
You are on the downhill side now, almost home.