
Here's what the veggies looked like, sunning themselves on our apartment's window sill--not pretty, but after a lot of elbow grease it's all quite delicious. Our diet was pretty simple: potatoes, carrots, onions and sausage one night; spaghetti, meatballs and canned corn (the sweetest corn that ever came out of a can) the next night. And to mix it up, we'd throw in fish sticks, monties (a Kazakh dumpling) and cucumbers. Most food is fresh, so the taste is rather subtle but it sure puts the processed food here to shame.
When it comes to purchasing food, you have your choice of the open market (as seen above) or the more traditional grocery store. The open market is a cross between a farmer's market and a flea market. There are no middle men, so all the food on display was literally pulled from the ground that morning. (Along with the dirt. Don't worry they don't charge extra for that.) The open market has everything under the sun for sale. Clothes, toys, plumbing and painting supplies--you name it.





The butchering process at the open market seemed a bit scary to say the least. Here's a shot Bob managed to capture just before a Kazakh official spotted him. Needless to say, I didn't eat any meat while in Kaz unless it was pre-cooked. Much too afraid to chance things.
Now the grocery stores are another story. There isn't much stock to speak of. Sure they have two aisles filled with hard liquor. Plus there's an ample supply of chocolates and fine bakery goods. But forget about everything else.


As you can see, the "produce" section isn't much. You're lucky if you can find a banana most days. But for weight loss, I highly recommend the Kazakh diet (eat your heart out Valerie Bertinelli). We're trying to stick with it. Tonight on the menu, it's potatoes, carrots and fish sticks.
Makes my mouth water.
11 comments:
Isn't this weather crazy??
Spring will come--hopefully soon!
the Kaz diet sounds pretty good--it's neat to see pictures of the market.
First of all..SNOW? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It got SO hot today at Sean's baseball game we had to go stand under a tree in the shade.
I was at the beach Friday. Sorry, not to rub it in (cuz we'll be getting real hot and humid here REALLY soon) but that's crazy you're getting snow.
Wow-I am loving people talking about how good the food was. I would love to lose 10 lbs. I was all worried that i would gain weight since I won't be running 5 miles a day there, like I do here. I can't lose weight here for the life of me.
If we ever get there, I am psyched about good food!
Great photo's.
but, um, need to see that handsome boy of yours. :)
How did all the dr appt's go? How is Garrett doing? Does he like his room?
Are you feeling better?
When do you have to go back to work?
Great photos! We found out that we're staying in a hotel but had hoped to stay in an apartment. I really wanted to cook while there. The meat situation does look scary - boy we sure take it for granted what we have here when we see that. I am a picky eater and can stand to lose weight - so Kaz might not be too bad as far as that is concerned :)
Ditto what Susan asked about how the Dr.'s appointment went? Does he like his room, etc?
Hope all is well,
Eileen
Oh my goodness, you are making me miss some Kaz things, that is for sure. And I miss being 10 lbs thinner myself. I have put back on all of the weight I lost while there. Such a drag. Oh well. That was a cool post. Brought back nice memories.
Snow? We just barely missed that one.
You're making me hungry! I can't wait to try Kazakh food. And I suppose the lack of M&Ms will probably cause me to lose a few pounds too. However, I am going to really miss my veggies! I told Sne that I might have to resort to eating baby food to get my greens.
Snow? We just barely missed that one.
You're making me hungry! I can't wait to try Kazakh food. And I suppose the lack of M&Ms will probably cause me to lose a few pounds too. However, I am going to really miss my veggies! I told Sne that I might have to resort to eating baby food to get my greens.
Oh you are so right about the food! I loved the freshness of the fruits and veggies.
Kim
I am so looking forward to Kaz food! Real, fresh, ripe produce that tickles the tastebuds. Our stuff here is so artificial it's sickening. I'm hoping I lose a few pounds over there too!
I totally miss the carrots. The carrots there are the best. And I miss beet salad- never thought I'd say that! I, too, lost 10 lbs there, but sadly it found its way back to me very quickly once we came home!
Ohhhh how I miss the brown bread and the creamy creamy creamy butter. I cut off a chunk of butter this morning and took a look at it - it was all pale yellow and had no scent or flavor at all - so sad.
I've been catching up on your blog, I totaly agree...thw veggies are awesome in Kaz, YUM!! And I loved the Monty & Pilaf, delish. I would eat a snickers a day & still lost 20lbs while I was there, so I also recommend the Kazakh diet. ;)
Post a Comment