Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Our first week home





What a week it's been. Honestly, I think I've felt every emotion there is. Bob and I have had a few arguments about parenting. Garrett has reverted back to wetting his bed and pants. (Oh the joys of motherhood.) But I am happy to report that I'm bonding again with the little kazman, which thrills me to no end. Progress has been made on the language front: Garrett can now count to eight in English; say small phrases like "thank you mama," "more please" and "come on." He has watched "Shrek" more than 20 times and still can't get enough. He answers to and refers to himself as Garrett (no more Nurlan--now that's a big deal) and didn't have a melt down at the pediatrician's today. Tomorrow it's off to the attachment psychologist and on Friday, he'll have his Early Childhood Screening. (We have our fingers and toes crossed that he qualifies for a lot of assistance. Particularly, speech and occupational therapy.)

Yes, Garrett is one busy lad these days.

18 comments:

Susan said...

Karen-he is so handsome!!!! what a cutie pie!!!

I know you already know this, but of course it's been a tough week. You are sick, and, um, you have a new family member.
Isn't it supposed to be expected and well, good, if the kids regress because they are learning to become dependent on you?
I'm glad you have all the dr appt lined up. You are so prepared.
Next week will be easier.
I hope that you are feeling better so you can get back on your game.
Your son is just precious-I ADORE the family picture.

I bet Garrett starts making some real strides in English.
What a sweetie he is.

Love you!!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear the bonding with Mama is back. That is wonderful!

I love the photo of him sleeping. He is such a cutie!!! Of course the picture of the 3 of you together is the best.

I hope you can get all the help he needs through the early intervention. Oh, and after almost a year home my husband and I still argue from time to time over parenting styles. I am afraid that goes with the territory.

Angela said...

Love, LOVE the photos! It sounds like you are settling in! I am so glad that you are seeking all the assistance you can. I wish you continued progress.

Anonymous said...

A busy guy and an absolutely beautiful boy. I'm so happy for you ;-)
Shannon

kitzkazventure said...

Such a great looking family!

All the appointments were so ovewhelming for all of us at first...especially me. Nick did not like some of them and it was hard. Just work hard on establishing a schedule......they really react to not eating on time and sleeping the normal times (he always needed 11 hours exactly...freaky)....Even bathroom time can be a schedule thing...we always tried after waking, snacks, meals, etc. Whatever you think may have been his routine might help. They are drinking much more liquid than they were used to in the orphanage....once his bladder/system adjusts it should get better....you might just want to cut him off after dinner for your sanity! ;) Nick had trouble at first but now does awesome....

Sorry, you didn't really ask for any advice....I just remember how I felt those first few weeks...Always remember ( i still tell myself this) ...we are newborn parents to an older newborn.....give yourself Grace and mercy often!

Big Hugs to you! ky karen

Catalina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catalina said...

He is very cute! It must be so hard for him with so many adjustments and apointments. I am glad he already responds to his new name and he already speaks few words in English. When we were in the orphanage, Gabi refused to respond to his new name, I hope this will change when we come home,otherwise we will have to call him Serioja! Dont worry about bed wetting, it is very expected, I am sure you know it.
Our sons are about the same age, but since you are with him earlier than us, I will have many things to learn from you.

Patrick & Eileen said...

I'm so happy to hear that he is beginning to bond with you again. What a great feeling that must be! I will keep my fingers crossed for you for the results he needs for his Early Childhood Screening! It would be so helpful for him (and you two)!!

Keep up the great work - I just love the photos!!! He is quite a handsome lad :)

Eileen

marsrob said...

WOw. You guys are amazing. So happy for his progress and we are so sending you our prayers that things settle down and you get into a routine soon. Oh, the transition is SO HARD! We send our best and warmest thoughts to you all!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

He looks so happy and what a cutie. I love the picture of him sleeping -- I often will go in and watch my boys sleep -- such a peaceful time and my emotions seem to overwhelm me when I watch them.
Good luck with the appointments - hopefully he'll qualify but I would recommend getting him some OT and speech even he does not "qualify." I know it can be expensive but the summer is a perfect time before school starts. (My boys did both and it helped -- actually one is still in speech...) Also my boys are doing Tae Kwon Do at the YMCA and that has helped their motor skills too plus they enjoy it. Good luck with it all.

Rochelle said...

Amazing!! Thanks for keeping us posted!!

When are you due back to work?

Can't wait to hear more...

Rochelle

Jennifer said...

And a gorgeous lad!! Wow! The discrete 'hide-the-camera-and-quick-take-a-picture-when-no-one-is-looking' thing when you were in Kaz just didn't do that cutie pie justice!

Yeah, the first week is HARD, HARD, HARD. It gets easier, but slowly. That's all right- though not easy. I like to think of it as building the foundation for the rest of your lives. If a house foundation was built in a single week- or even 4 weeks, it would be hastily thrown together and unable to withstand storms and pressure and the weight of the house. A foundation that is slowly built over time, brick by brick, is much more sturdy and although there isn't a lot of short term satisfaction, the long term benefits are AMAZING!

Thanks for the updated pictures. You are such a good looking family!

Amy said...

Hi there!! Amy here! Karina and I have been home a few days now and was wondering if you have had any of the same issues. #1) Karina refers to all women as Mama - this is how she referred to women in the orphanage they all called the women Mama - but now she is still calling them Mama - almost as if it was a way of saying "Lady". She will go to show my Office Manager a doll and talk to her in Russian and she begins of course by saying Mama. I don't think it is an attachment thing as much as just the term that she thinks is used for a woman.

McMary said...

Hi Karen,
Sounds like you are all adjusting and getting on with everything that needs to be done.
I know I will look to you for advice when the time comes.
Great job you are doing.
Mary

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous little guy Garrett is!! That is wonderful that he is already making so much progress. And it sounds like with all of the resources you are taking advantage of, he will thrive. Welcome home!

Paula said...

What a handsome little boy Garret is. Sounds like he's adjusting well (except for the bed wetting) I bet that will stop once he's really settled in. It must be SUCH a huge change for him. You all look so happy together.
Congratulations

Regina said...

Sounds very promising that you guys are well on your way to seeing leaps and bounds in his progress. It will start rolling along now that everyone is getting adjusted a little better to the whole new world. Garrett is so lucky to have you guys as parents and have access to all the things that will help him develop into all that he can be. He is a beautiful boy and has the most gorgeous color hair!

Kelly and Sne said...

Garrett looks so happy in the photos. It sounds like you've started to make progress and I'm sure that you'll be making it in strides soon enough. You are such a happy and good looking family of three!