Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Pre-court done

We got the long-awaited call last night: the judge wanted to see us in court at 10 am this morning. I hardly slept (it didn't help that our neighbor was up to the wee hours, screaming at the top of his lungs in Russian). Fortunately, I woke up in time.

For the record, pre-court is when the judge reviews all the paperwork to ensure nothing is amiss. (And because it's April Fool's Day today I half expected something to be missing, like our FBI fingerprints.) I have to admit I haven't been this nervous in a long time. The judge's chamber was boiling as we sat sweating for the better part of an hour in our court clothes. Seated around the table was the judge, our interpreter Yulia, Natalya (a representative of Tree of Life), the social worker from the Uralsk Department of Education and a representative from the orphanage.

This is a new international adoption judge, so you never know what to expect. He's a man known for dotting his "i's" and crossing his "t's"--and he went over everything with a fine toothed comb. (Apparently, his background is in investigation.) For some reason, the judge seemed duly impressed with our tax returns. His exact comments: they are so clear to read (I'm thinking something must've gotten lost in the translation). He also chuckled after seeing our wedding photo. (Hey, now that's not funny.) When he saw the pictures of Nurlan, he said Nurlan reminded him of the old Kazakhs. Apparently when the Mongolians first entered Kaz they intermingled with the natives who were fair haired and blue-eyed. It's obvious Garrett Nurlan is a mixture of both.

In the end, both the orphanage and the agency were sent away to redo some documents. Our court day is scheduled for tomorrow, same time and place. Then we were dismissed.

So, thankfully no April Fool pranks today. See you on the other side of court.

24 comments:

Kristen (and Cary) said...

You are one step closer!!! Sounds like he was very thorough.

Kim said...

Best of luck in court tomorrow! You will do great!

Susan said...

yay!! (big sigh of relief breathed by moi). I'm so glad it was all good and court is TOMORROW.
any indication if you'll get custody of him too? Garrett Nurlan is a handsome lil guy--and very loved. :)

Holly and Dean said...

Yeah!!!! Congratulations!!! We wish you all the best tomorrow!!!

Holly and Dean

Lorraine said...

Every time I read the blog, I hold my breath, hoping everything is going well for you. Glad things are moving along.

Rochelle said...

GREAT news!!

Can't wait to read the blog tomorrow!

Rochelle

Angela said...

YEA! Glad things are moving!

Diana said...

I'm nervous just reading this post.

Tax returns "clear to read". Is he talking about our IRS? That must have been some impressive translation work.

GOOD LUCK tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!

Best of luck in court tomorrow!

Amy said...

Almost there almost!! Very good news and here is to hoping it will only get better!!

Jennifer said...

Yay! Good news! Congratulations on one step closer.

Unknown said...

I second Susan's sigh of relief! Can't wait to read that its a done deal!!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Congratulations to you. It sounds as if court should go well for you tomorrow.

Eileen

marsrob said...

OH my goodness! As I write this, it IS tomorrow for you - early, but still! We'll be praying that all goes well in court and that your next post is filled with good news!!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Great! Sounds like the judge is on your side! Good news! And best of luck with court!

Anonymous said...

That's a great sign, the judge chuckled (even if it was at your wedding photo...) - I know it will be great. And OVER very very soon. Can't wait to hear the good stories,
Shannon

Alaina said...

That's awesome! We will be so glad to hear how thing went on the other side. :)

Regina said...

My fingers and toes are crossed! I look forward to reading about your success in court!

CL Lambert said...

This is great news Karen. Can't wait to hear how the 2nd court date goes.

Welby said...

Yay! You're getting close!
Hey, I forget--were you at BH #1 or 2? Reading your post makes it sound like you were at # 2. Welby

Susan said...

i know it's hard to get the internet-but we're dying over here...
do you have Garrett? did you have court????
miss hearing from you!!!
xoxoxxoxo

Rochelle said...

Karen,

Where did you go? I've been checking your blog several times every day...

What's Up???

Rochelle

sabarter said...

We are on pins and needles waiting. I know things will be just fine. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

I keep my fingers crossed for your court date. A step closer to getting your child.

You will do great!