Happy Gotcha Day to us. Look how small Garrett was a year ago. Those pants are now up to his shins. We talked about Gotcha Day last night. He doesn't understand what "remember" means so I tried explaining that it's like you think of someone and then you have a picture of him (or her) in your head. Something must've clicked because it was the first time he ran over and grabbed the Kaz photo album. He wanted to see his friends from the preschool house. He even said, "I want to see my friends." Although he can't recall their names, it was he (not me) who wanted to see their pictures. That felt like a small breakthrough—hoping one day, his memories will come back with a vengeance. Just imagine all the stories he'll have to tell us about the five plus years we've missed.
We'd love to hear from you. Whether it's words of encouragement (can never have enough of those), a question about the adoption process or whatever else moves you, please feel free to leave a comment.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Happy Gotcha Day
Happy Gotcha Day to us. Look how small Garrett was a year ago. Those pants are now up to his shins. We talked about Gotcha Day last night. He doesn't understand what "remember" means so I tried explaining that it's like you think of someone and then you have a picture of him (or her) in your head. Something must've clicked because it was the first time he ran over and grabbed the Kaz photo album. He wanted to see his friends from the preschool house. He even said, "I want to see my friends." Although he can't recall their names, it was he (not me) who wanted to see their pictures. That felt like a small breakthrough—hoping one day, his memories will come back with a vengeance. Just imagine all the stories he'll have to tell us about the five plus years we've missed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Happy Gotcha Day Anniversary! Wow, it's been a year already. He is so much bigger, and more mature looking now, it's amazing.
Congratulations you guys!
Happy Gotcha Day!! I know you've had some frustrating moments, but YOU should look at those photos and pat yourselves on the back because you've all come SO FAR! Every little breakthrough deserves to be celebrated.
You are all an inspiration for us and we are so honored to call you our friends.
Have a great weekend together!! (Even if it is snowing -- UGH!)
Happy Gotcha Day! I know that it felt like a big responsibility to essentially become our son's "memory" of his home (and 'family') before ours. One reason we made a strong attempt to focus on the positive while making note of the not so good. It would be great if Garrett can add to his own story someday.
Happy Gotcha day Garrett and his brave loving parents!! He does look so small! Whta cool story abuot how he wanted to look at the pictures...I think that is HUGE. You have all come a very long way.
congrats!
Happy Gotcha Day! I love the picture, it is great to see how much Garrett has grown over the last year!
Happy Anniversary! What a long way he's come - and how sweet about the "remembering"!
A year already! So much has changed and it really does seem like such a short time. Happy Gotcha Day.
Has it really already been a year? Happy Gotcha Day Anniversary, Garrett, Mama & Papa! It's pretty crazy to think all that you guys have been through this year. That is very neat Garrett was so eager to look at the pictures of his friends from his first home. I can't wait to see what this next year brings for you three. Thanks for letting us follow along!
Hugs from AZ!
Congratulations! Hard to imagine it's been a year already! You've all come such a long way in that time. Garrett is a special, and a very lucky, little boy!
Congratulations!
Happy Gotcha Day to all of you! Isn't it unbelievable how quickly the year goes? Garrett has definitely grown a lot but when I think of him he's still that little boy, so full of energy, that we met in Almaty!
We are hoping to visit relatives in MN this summer -- maybe we'll be able to get together so I can replace that "old" picture in my mind with the "new" Garrett. :-)
Congrats again!
Happy gotcha Day!
I truly can't believe it's been a year. Wow how Garrett has changed.
What a great year and I wish for them to keep getting better.
Happy belated Gotcha Day! I can't believe it has been a whole year! Man, how time flies. Leaps and bounds indeed. ;-)
Where did your boys go to in SC? We are in Charleston.
Cool, Karen! He wants to remember now. Definite break-through.
Hope you are feeling better.
Gosh, I feel so behind in the blogworld. Happy Gotcha day! We are home from spring break...it was a hard one...we will discuss later. So happy for you all and Garrett has come so far and grown so much....it is a proud moment to sit back and realize just how far you have come ... together! He is such a handsome one...can't wait until we can finally get our boys together one of these days.
hugs! Kyk
Happy Gotcha Day! I can't believe how much he has grown and changed - he is adorable!
Happy Belated Gotcha Day!!!!
Post a Comment