They say if you want to bring new energy to your home, paint your door a different color. So we’ve decided to buy a new front door and paint it red. In Feng Shui, red is recommended because it’s often associated with success and prosperity. (Actually, a little wealth would come in real handy right now.)
A red door is also supposed to bring good luck, but it may not be the right choice for everyone. (As my husband would attest.) Painting the door has become a sore spot for him. First, he tried spray painting, but that left a lot of drips. Then he used a roller—only it made the paint look crackled. So now he’s back to sanding and spraying (something about third time’s a charm). What I love about Bob is he tries to make everything perfect for me.
I've also heard you should be cautious when using red: apparently there are certain unlucky "star combinations" that can be activated by the color. So I've decided to go with the "try it and see" method: paint the door red and see what happens. If our luck takes a big turn for the worse, I'll be running back to the paint store with new paint chips in hand. If that should happen, and pray that it doesn't, I’ll hire a professonal painter. I just couldn’t put Bob through that again.
Other door colors to consider:
Black and dark blue are the colors associated with opportunities, social contacts, and career success.
Green is associated with wood energy, which is uplifting in nature. Lighter shades of green are all about new growth and beginnings; darker shades give off the energy of mature trees and forests. Both green and purple are associated with "fortunate blessings," which include (but are not limited to) financial prosperity.
Yellows and browns are associated with the stability of earth energy, but may not be the best choice for a front door, where you would like the chi to be more active.
White is associated with metal and creativity, but it will show dirt more clearly, so be sure to keep it clean.
4 comments:
Hi Karen,
We have a HUGE red front door. When I bought the house (pre-Glenn), it was just sort of stained light-brownish, and I had it painted red on about the second day of home ownershp (had not even moved in yet). It is extra big because the house used to be a "two family", so the front door also includes two large side panels to cover the big space that used to house two front doors. Many of my neighbors thought I was crazy, but we LOVE it! It is so fun to say to people, "the house with the big red front door." And, now that you mention it, I think we've had a great run of good luck over the last few years (including our marriage). So, you have my gigantic vote for RED! Our paint color is "cherry red", so I mean RED. If I ever get around to creating a blog, I'll post some of our dossier photos. Believe me, in the "house" pictures, you cannot miss that front door. Sure hope it doesn't take on some voo-doo meaning or something in Kaz. LOL
We're still cheering on your dossier!
Can you post a photo of the new red door??? Would love to see it!
What do you think a red door would look like on a green house with cream trim? I am honestly considering it . . . anything for luck!
So glad to hear this!
We have loosely incorporated elements of Feng Shui into our home for years, and I must say it seems to work wonders.
Even if you don't believe in the full mystical philosophy of it, it definitely creates a harmonious environment and truly brings in a peacefulness.
We haven't Feng Shui'd the baby's room yet, because we don't have everything in place, but we definitely will soon!
Please post photos once it's done!
Post a Comment