Thursday, November 29, 2007

Don’t leave home without it

I never thought we’d need travel insurance for this adoption trip. I just figured we’d get all our immunizations, bring along some antibiotics and let our U.S. medical coverage cover the rest. That all changed after reading a comment off the yahoo user group from a person who was experiencing first hand a medical emergency in a remote region of Kazakhstan.

Here’s what I’ve learned: the hospitals in the remote Kazakh regions are ill equipped to handle medical emergencies, so if you need to be evacuated to one of the bigger cities (Almaty or Astana) that will set you back $100,000 smackeroos. What’s more it takes 2-3 days to arrange for an evacuation, so you can’t wait until you’re desperately ill. Then there’s the language 
barrier. Apparently when it comes to medical problems it’s far more challenging that one can image, even with an excellent translator. Travel insurance comes with a 24-hour hotline that gives you access to English-speaking doctors for a consult. Also you can insure your adopted child. Remember, your baby won’t be covered by your healthcare insurance until his or her feet are firmly planted on U.S. soil.

I called Myra Atschuler at Travel Protectors. She is a joy to talk to and very knowledgeable (she’s also adopted from Russia and Kazakhstan). Her direct line is 1.703.443.9055 or check out her website at www.travelprotectors.com

Please consider getting coverage if you’re heading over anytime soon. The policy is a relative bargain when compared to the cost of adoption. Everybody thinks that a medical emergency will never happen to them, which is exactly what insurance is for.

Okay, I’ve just stepped down from my soap box.

5 comments:

Chris & Christy said...

I am all over it, I too wasn't sure that I would buy the travel insurance, but in the scheme of things, why wouldn't you? Thanks for the contact!

Christy - your fellow MN adoptive mom to be

Jennifer said...

We did buy travel insurance and it was so worth the peace of mind. For the two of us for 1 long trip, it was only a couple hundred dollars, which while not cheap, is only a drop in the bucket compared to this whole process!! Definitely a recommended "do."

Catalina said...

Thanks for the information, I am sure is definetely worthed for the peace of our minds. Could you please send me an invitation to your blog when you go private? My email is catabaia@yahoo.com. My dossier was in MOFA on oct 15, looks we are very close. Best of luck!

marsrob said...

YES! It is a very good idea to have travel insurance! We agree completely!

Angela said...

Ditto. I, too, would not have thought of it, but I have definitely learned from the recent emergency with the families in Kostanai.