I’m a native New Yorker living in the land of Minnesota “nice,” so my mouth gets me into trouble more times than not. For example, in NY if you say, “that’s interesting” it means that you are interested and want to hear more. Say the same thing in Minnesota and it means the exact opposite. In Minnesota, “you bet” is a blanket reply to everything with the mere suggestion of opinion. “That’s different” says you have an opinion, but you’re holding back the details. Then there’s “whatever,” which can be used to express disappointment.
This past week I learned a few “Kazakh-isms” from a charming woman I met from Semey, Kazakhstan, which I thought I'd share with you:
In Kazakhstan if you say to someone, “Boy, I really like your sweater,” try not to appear shocked when that person removes his sweater and gives it to you. Better to say, “You look nice today.”
In Kazakhstan if you tell someone you have a pet dog—it could mean that you live in a really rough part of town and need protection. Also if you say you’re a cat owner, it could be a sign that you’re poor. Apparently, only poor people in Kazakhstan allow pets in their homes.
In Kazakhstan if someone signals you to the front of the line you must never refuse the offer. Refusing is considered highly insulting. It means you don’t think that person is capable of doing what he says he's going to do. Which runs contrary to Minnesotans. (See below for the “refuse three times before accepting”* rule.)
In Kazakhstan if you want something done quickly you offer that person a “gift.” Vodka, peanut butter or chocolate will do nicely.
*Abrupt and eager acceptance of any offer is a common mistake made by Minnesota’s visitors. You never accept until the third offer and then only reluctantly. On the other hand, if a Minnesotan doesn’t make the offer at least three times then it’s not serious.
Got that?
8 comments:
Hi Karen
Here's another "Kazism" to keep in mind ... never, ever hold the door for the person behind you while entering/exiting a building. If you do, I promise you will get many strange looks AND be stuck there for quite a while as half the population of Kaz sweeps right by you!
Jodi
that is very intersting. I think it's going to be wild going to Kaz--so many things that are so differnt! I had heard not to include pictures of your dogs in your dossier-how sad that only Poor people have pets.I love my dog and cat! Although, after paying for this adoption, we are poor so that makes sense.
Thanks for the tips from your friend!
what a small world--is it not?
LOL! I'm also from NY (the country part, not the city part) and now living in MN, and I've also been to Kaz. Too true on both accounts!! Minnesotan's are the epitome of passive aggressive. Sometimes I just want to shout, "Just tell me what you really want me to do or say!! Quit hinting and suggesting!!" :-)
Another difference- in MN if you're within 2 feet of another person, you're considered to be rude and violating personal space. When you're in Kaz, if you're not chest-to-back with someone, even though YOU think you're in line, they think you're just standing there pondering the universe and will get in back of the line- which is in front of you.
Wow, thanks for the interesting and helpful info! It's going to be another world...
And yes, in the South people are very passive-aggressive too. Just tell me how you really feel, but be polite and don't make me guess!
Hi,
I live in KZ, and have since 1999. Most of the "Kazisms" you mention are accurate - except for the pet bit. Maybe in Semey, but in the capital, folks have dogs and cats if they are poor and if they are rich. Everyone, even in the most expensive parts of town have dogs to ward off potential burglars. And cats? I've never heard they are the animal of choice for poor people.
But, it is true that Kazakhs typically don't let pets in the house. My Kazakh wife can't stand the idea of indoor pets - which is a point of contention for us, as I love animals.
-Nathan
You Bet! How very different parts of the United States are in there sayings. I am a CA native and at one point I lived in Texas. Here in CA we always say "You guys" even if you are talking to women. That doesn't fly in Texas, they looked at me like I was an alien. So, I very quickly started saying "Y'all"
Believe it or not, that is such accurate information! We are in Semey now and that Semey-born friend of yours has really given you good info!!! It is so neat to hear it from her all the way in the US while we are here! Cool!!!
I love your remarks about Minnesota-speak. I have grown up in Minnesota but still recognize them as so very true. I bought the book--"How to speak Minnesotan" for my future sister-in-law who grew up in Alaka and now lives in Seattle--never been to Minnesota yet.
Mary
Post a Comment