Sunday, May 18, 2008

C'mon mama, let's play


My fun-filled days of chasing Garrett around the house are over as of tomorrow. That's when I go back to work and he goes to preschool. The plan is he'll attend school Monday through Wednesday and then hang with papa on Thursday and Friday's. But deciding on a school wasn't easy. What was better at this point for Garrett-- Montessori or a more traditional daycare setting? While everyone raves about Montessori, its philosophy is centered around helping each child grow toward independence by building confidence, competence, self-esteem and respect for others. It sees children as self-directed individuals. This early on, Garrett doesn't understand how to be self-directed. He's been in a box all his life and desperately needs structure and guidance. First, he must learn how to play, which will later help foster his imagination. (Right now, "play" for him is either lining up his toys in a neat row or cleaning.) Second, he needs to learn how to socialize with other children. Which you'd think he'd have down pat after living in an orphanage, but because his day was so structured we think he had little time for interaction with the other children. So in the end, we decided New Horizon Academy was a perfect fit. Their daily schedule is filled with lots of socializing and some learning. Our hope is Garrett will learn by simply being around other kids. The rest (we pray) will come later.

By the way, we did a trial run at the school last Thursday. Garrett screamed at the top of his lungs as we said our goodbyes (hard to see him so stressed out but was a good attachment sign nonetheless) and seemed very happy when we returned four hours later. He did need lots of hugs and laptime that afternoon so I'm expecting the same for Monday. And I'll need the same as I'll be missing my little guy too.

9 comments:

Angela said...

That is THE cutest photo! Oh! What a cute little guy!

It seems like your choice is the best. Montessori is really freeform which would probably stress someone who has never done freeform out. I can completely see the logic in your reasoning.

May Garrett thrive at his new school!

Sandi said...

I love this picture, he looks so sweet and at home :)

Sounds like you made the right choice for Garrett and with time he is going to make new friends and he will always look forward to you guys coming to get him.

May you guys begin to enjoy the next step in being a family.

Sandi

Susan said...

I will be thinking of you and praying for you all today. I'm sure it will be hard to go back to work,but it will really be good for you and for Garrett to start to get into a routine.

It sounds like you found a great place. That is a great relief I am sure. I still remember searching for a place for Sean-its very stressful!

Preschool is awesome-they learn SO much from other kids. :)

He is certainly a handsome lil man. I bet his english really will grow expotentially as well. :)

Patrick & Eileen said...

I think you made a great choice. I can only imagine how hard it was to leave him. But it was a great sign that he is attached to you :) I actually remember my mom leaving me in kindergarten (I didn't attend preschool). I remember crying but mom said it wasn't long before I got into the groove of school.

Very cute photo!!!

Congrats to Garrett at his new school.

Eileen

Rochelle said...

Karen,

I've been thinking of you having to go back to work today and how hard it will be for Garrett (and you). School will be good for him but it's hard. I'm so glad you had a lot of quality time with him in the past weeks though. It's good it's just 3 days a week for him. I've been meaning to stop by and will do so soon.

You are in my thoughts...

Rochelle

Stacey, Dave and Rylan said...

Hi! I finally got a chance to check in on your blog - we've been home from Uralsk for almost a month now with Rylan, and are settling into a new life. Glad to hear all is going well with your new family!

Stacey and Dave (from the Pushkin)

Stacey, Dave and Rylan said...

Hi! I finally got a chance to check in on your blog - we've been home from Uralsk for almost a month now with Rylan, and are settling into a new life. Glad to hear all is going well with your new family!

Stacey and Dave (from the Pushkin)

Stacey, Dave and Rylan said...

Hi! I finally got a chance to check in on your blog - we've been home from Uralsk for almost a month now with Rylan, and are settling into a new life. Glad to hear all is going well with your new family!

Stacey and Dave (from the Pushkin)

marsrob said...

An adorable photo.

And, what a thoughtful way to make a choice. Sounds like you guys have really made a beautiful, loving and smart effort to place your son in the right spot - so that he'll grow in healthy ways. Congrats. That couldn't have been easy to figure out.

Thinking of you. Keep us posted about how it goes!