Thursday, May 22, 2008

Just a spoonful of sugar

Mary Poppins had that right.

While at the International Adoption Clinic, Dr. Johnson put Garrett's blood and stool through a battery of laboratory tests. One such test revealed that his stool sample contained Dientamoeba fraglis (an intestional parasite), which might explain why he's hungry all the time and his lack of growth. (Currently, his height is between the 3rd and 10th percentile--extremely small for his age group.) So he prescribed 250 mg of paromomycin for seven days. To my horror, they were these big coated capsules that even I would have a hard time swallowing. (Well, that's not saying much. Only recently have I learned how to swallow an Advil.)

So my only recourse was to mix the capsule in with the pudding or the apple sauce. Found out that Garrett hates apple sauce (and apple juice), but not apples--go figure. So sneaky me, I mix the pill into the pudding without his knowledge. Guess I thought I knew what I was doing. Was I ever wrong. At first he starts inhaling the pudding when all of a sudden his little face gets red, which is then proceeded by a big "beee-yuck!" Okay, mama's busted. Bob patiently explains to me why you should never trick a kid--it's best to respect the child by always being honest. It's about building trust. And boy was he right. We feebly attempt to tell him that it's not the pudding that's beee-yucky, it's the medicine. Despite his loud protests, we shovel the remainder of the pudding into his mouth. Yet another bad move. He makes himself throw up.

At this point, I'm beside myself as we've got 13 more pills to go. Worse yet, Garrett now hates vanilla pudding. So I call my trusty buddy Suzanne and she suggests mixing Splenda and the medicine on a spoon with a drop of water. But this time, I need to show him what I was doing. And to my surprise, it worked like a charm. Somehow he understood that the medicine was going to make his tummy better and that we wanted him to be a good boy. Well, he took his medicine like a man while proud mama and papa cheered him on. After that, HE was the one asking me for the medicine.

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. In the most delightful way.

P.S. Garrett loves vanilla pudding again—luckily, no long-term trauma there.

10 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

What a great idea! I will have to remember that if/when the time comes. Poor Garrett & those darn big pills.

I'm glad everything worked out!

Eileen

dnd82001 said...

Glad to hear that you have found the magic touch on how to make this work for Garrett.

Sweets for the sweet!!

Darlene

PS - I have a trama from childhood that till this day I can't look at vanilla pudding, custard or any type of cream that is like vanilla pudding so don't be surprised if he never touches it again - sorry but mine is still with me after all these years!!

Susan said...

That is a GREAT STORY.
now i'm humming that song.

I hate spumoni ice cream to this day (it sounds gross anyway) but that is what my mom used to give me pencillin (i think) when i was little. To this day, i can't even eat it. I'm not even sure they make it anymore. :)

We used to have a horrible time with SEan and his medicine. It was liquid, not pills. I used to have to LAY HIM DOWN in the bathtub and pour it down his throat. He would try to spit out and it would get all over both of us. Good memories.

Now, he takes it like a champ, as long as he can have a drink afterwards. :)

I have never hreard of the splenda trick-that's a good one. :)

He's a trooper.

Paula said...

Yea, Suzanne your a hero. I'll be remembering that one too!

Jack and Cheryl said...

Glad to hear that the little trick worked -- that's a new one.

It sounds as if Garrett is adjusting so well! He's an amazing little boy.

Keep posting, we love reading what's happening in your life.

Cheryl & Jack
http://number2-kaz-adopt.blogspot.com/

PS We found Bob's belt!! We'll send it to you.

marsrob said...

That is SUCH a great story! I just read it out loud to my husband and mother-in-law...we laughed - your honesty and sense of humor are so appreciated!!!!

McMary said...

Trail and error--I think much of parenting will be like that--glad you had a successful outcome.

Catalina said...

this was a great lesson! Unfortunately communication is a very big bareer, it would have been much easier if they would understand what we are telling them and why do they need to do certain things. You did great, mommy! So did Garrett!

Unknown said...

What a cool trick. where does Suzanne come up with this stuff? If it hadn't worked I know that many people will call their dr and tell them their child can't take a pill like that and they will prescribe a liquid instead.

I honestly think the kids get so much medicine in the orphanage that they are pretty used to it and know they have to take it without protest. Nobody gives them the chance to complain about it there, they just have to do it.

Dmitrii takes meds better than any kid I've ever seen. But I know he took a lot of nasty looking meds at the babyhouse. He had a liquid iron supplement there that looked and smelled just horrible but he would open wide and slurp it down. Once I even saw them give him med where they poured powder in his mouth and then poured in water. you are SUPPOSED to mix that stuff first and THEN give it to the child. That was one of the most awful things I had ever seen.

Personally I am like you... I can barely manage to swall and Advil.

Rochelle said...

Hi Karen,

Oh well, live and learn, I guess.

I'm glad to hear that the doctors have found something they can help him with and that may even help with his growth. Wow! That is wonderful. Poor little guy but he is so resilient!

Rochelle