Yesterday, was another test of motherhood. The day started out pleasantly enough. We had a fun day, flying kites with friends Suzanne D., Julie and her son Wyatt. After everyone left, we ate dinner and then Garrett broke into his usual "movie, movie, MOVIE MAMA MAMA MAMA!!!" whining routine. But this time I wasn't as quick to respond, so he started to cry. Really cry with big crocodile tears. Then he grabbed his forehead and began to rock back and forth. All I could do was ask if he had a headache, which he nodded yes.
Then it happened. The first of nine. Vomit spewed from his mouth with such velocity that I barely had time to duck. It landed on everything--throw pillows, sofa cushions, clothing. (Thankfully my couch is ancient so I wasn't too concerned there.) The worst part was the kid couldn't stop. Every time I changed his clothes more came up. Plus, he continued to hold his head, writhing in pain. Now this is where simple communication would've come in handy. He simply had no way to tell me what was wrong. Could it be something he ate? Did he hit his head really hard (and I didn't know it)? Did both his tummy and head hurt? As you can imagine, I felt totally helpless (and a little panic-striken). Bob was at work at the time, so he suggested I call the 24-hour nurse's line. I did and the nurse proceeded to ask me every question she could think of. In the end, she told me not to chance it and take him to ER.
Poor little guy, he had the dry heaves the entire length of the parking lot to the ER. And boy was that ER room packed. Must've been every child in town sick that night. Two and a half hours later, he was seen by the doctor and, of course, by then he was back to his old self. I tried telling him to fake something so we'd get our money's worth, but of course that didn't work. So we left with a measley prescription for an antacid.
Lesson learned: next time, I'll just wait it out a little longer.
11 comments:
oh Karen-how awful!! I would have taken him to the ER too I think. That is scary! I wonder if something he ate didn't agree with him. It sure sounded like whatever was in his tummy wanted OUT OUT OUT! Sean has has the stomach flu before where he threw up and couldn't keep anything down. It's not fun-and he yells CLEAN UP ON AISLE 9 which always make me laugh.
I am so sorry. I hope he is all better and you don't experience that again, at least anytime soon.
Bless his lil heart-and yours too! You are a true mom now-throw up and all!! I am so sorry.
Hugs to Garrett!
Karen,
Oh my; my heart goes out to you -- it's hard to feel so helpless. You want to make it better but there was no way to let him know that or him to let you know how he felt. I'm glad that he's feeling better now! Sometimes it seems to take us moms longer to recover from these episodes ..........
Hang in there!
Cheryl & Jack & Hailee
Oh my GOD YOU POOR THING! I would have FREAKED! You win the award for most courageous mom of the week! Goodness gracious. The transition from before-motherhood to motherhood really is dramatic, isn't it!
So sorry to hear about what happened to Garrett. I think you did what any great mom would do. Unfortunately, is very possible this is not going to be last time -welcome to motherhood (I am not there yet, just on my way....). Always be better safe than sorry. And its good it was a happy end story. He will soon learn to speak English and once you will communicate better with him, you wont be so anxious.
Not looking forward to that scenario. I feel for you...and Garrett.
Karen, that is awful. I would have been freaked out - possibly gagged :) Ya know that is one thing I didn't think about or forgot about really - projectile vomit. So yukky!
Well I would have done the same thing by taking him to the doctor. I hope that communication will pick up speed with Garrett. His becoming ill like that come about suddenly - poor guy and poor you.
Hope he's feeling better!!
Hugs, Eileen
aw, poor Garrett & poor you to have to clean it up...all part of being a Mom, the not fun orpretty part. ;) That's scary when they just keep upchucking & it's so typical that he was ok by the time the doc saw him but better safe then sorry. Hope he is feeling better by now.
With all of that throwing up, I would have headed there too. Sometimes it is better to be safer than sorry. Luca has been to the emergency when he knocked his 2 front teeth back when he hit a metal chair with his mouth and for a prolapsed colon (look that one up and you will be happy Garrett was just throwing up!). My friends daughter will cry so hard she throws up - regularly, but this sounds more like a stomach bug or acid reflux. My friend's daughter also has acid reflux - fun times. He may have caught a bug from the other child. It seems like Luca almost always has a runny nose or something after playing with another kid for afternoon. Anyway, I am glad it was nothing serious. You have earned another mommy badge! Imagine how many you will have by the time he goes to college! Or maybe not :)!
Wow--I would have freaked out also. A severe headache with severe vomiting is nothing to wait and see on--it is good you went the ER. I am glad he turned out okay.
Awww... I am so sorry. Poor little guy. I hope he is all better and doesn't have an episode like that again. I wonder if he gets migraines??? I started getting them as young as 5 and ALWAYS threw up when I got them.
Oh my goodness!! I would have headed to the ER also if I was in that same situation. I have a friend whose son has an awful gag reflex..everytime he gets upset or runs around too much or a number of other things he gets sick. It still amazes me how she knows when it is going to happen and then just scoops him up and takes him to the trash can or bathroom(whichever is closer).
I'm glad Garrett is feeling better! Hopefully once he can express himself better you won't have a repeat experience...except if he is sick!!!
Big Hugs
Holly
Post a Comment