Thankfully, Garrett is back to his old self. But this was another week of mama, mama, mama. Bob is in Vegas visiting his elderly mother and brother for a couple of days. As I wrote in an earlier post, his 87-year-old mother was placed in assisted care while we were in Kazakhstan. While this was happening, his brother gave him a lot of grief about having to handle it all by his lonesome, which resulted in a number of unpleasant emails flying back and forth. (Not to mention a few sleepless nights for Bob.) I'm hoping fences can be mended on this trip.
Since papa has been gone, Garrett has been asking for him. Because he's so young and with little grasp of our language, I give him the "easy" answer: papa is at work. It works during the day, especially when we can talk to papa on the phone. But it gets tricky at night when he's supposed to come home. Last night, every car that drove past our house--in Garrett's mind--was papa. I felt bad for the little guy because he sounded so excited and hopeful. But I also felt bad for papa because he missed out on a big moment. Both Bob and I are big baseball fans. (He secretly dreams that Garrett will become the first Kazakh major leaguer in U.S. history. Maybe even a left-handed pitcher.) Which all relates to the "moment." I turned on the Twins/White Sox game and for the first time ever Garrett screams out "baseball papa!" I was so surprised yet sad that Bob missed out on that big "first." For me, it was almost like a baby sputtering out his first word. The good news is I think our son likes baseball.
6 comments:
I hope that Bob will be home soon. Did you tell Bob about *baseball papa?* How cute is that?
I can imagine tensions run high when highly emotional things come into play when a parent is ill (I went through that with family when my mother was dying). After a time everyone calms down and gets to the heart of the matter - you're scared. I hope that Bob's brother comes to terms about the reason he was in Kaz and will be ultimatly happy about it. What about Bob's mother - was she aware and happy for you & Bob?
Don't mean to get too personal. But I've been there and understand. Like you said, I hope fences are mended.
Take care and glad to hear Garrett is back to his ol' self!
Eileen
aww that is way cute!! Garret is such a cutie. Wait until you get him into Little league. It's SO FUN! We love little league. It's so fun to go the games. The kids are pretty cute. I am a loud cheery mom (imagine that!!)
I am so sorry to hear about Bob's mom and the tensions. It's hard when a parent is aging-I am dreading it myself.
Hugs to you-and i'm glad Mom and Garrett are bonding over baseball. :)
You can be Team Mom. :)
Being a baseball fan since I was a little girl, I think it is awesome he loves baseball. I hope that when Bob gets home he can watch a game with Bob.
I am so sorry to hear about Bobs mom, I hope that he can spend some quality time with her and that his brother will let things be.
Hope you have a fabulous Mothers Day.
sandi
It is so hard when a parent is ill. I have wondered how I will handle it if my Father gets ill again when I am in Kaz--I think my siblings will help and be okay with it but it is always hard. I hope Bob and his brother can mend some fences.
Garrett is doing so well--He and Bob are going to have great times at Twins games. Go Twins!!!!
It is hard when David travels as well. I tell the boys he is at work and he had to go on the airplane. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't.
Awesome about baseball! David shares the same dreams for Noah and hockey. :)
Oh, that is so hard - we hope things go ok with Bob and his brother. what a difficult, painful situation.
And Garrett's first words!!! HOW ADORABLE. Sounds like you are handling dada's absence beautifully.
Post a Comment