As many of you know, I've been a Big Sister to Sade for many, many years. She's experienced many "downs"—the latest one hit her last fall when her family became homeless again. Feelings of shame forced her to drop out of the 11th grade, so when I left for Kazakhstan in late February, she was still living in the homeless shelter and working full-time at Marshall's. Throughout this ordeal, she'd say over and over that she would return to school someday. My tough-love reply was always the same: "You can tell me all you want, but your actions will speak louder." When I dropped her off for the last time, I told her that upon my return I expected to hear she was back on the right path and that I'd be proud of her for doing so.
And, by golly, did she ever live up to my expectations. Not only did she go back to school, but yesterday she had something really important to show me. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

By the way, she goes by her middle name Sade, but her full name is Amina Sade Aguilera

As I read her report card, tears of joy filled my eyes. For the first time, she told me she'd never be satisfied making just minimum wage and was determined to do better. Sade is a smart girl. Smart for realizing that school is her ticket out of poverty—and determined to see it through.
For that, I'm very proud of her.
10 comments:
That is a smart girl! Better to experience what life could be like making the lowest end of the pay scale now then to figure it out much later on.
Way to go Sade!!! She really is proving herself. Kudos for you too for being there for her through it all. I love success stories.
How wonderful that she decided to believe in herself enough to put forth serious effort. Way to go Sade! She believed that she is worth it, like you do.
Both of you have much to be proud of. This is wonderful news! Thank you for sharing this!! I wish her the best for continued success.
Eileen
Thank You so much for sharing this. Sade is an inspiration to all and how wonderful she has you for a roll model.
Please pass along a HUGE congratulations from Bob and I. Keep it coming Sade, that's the way you do it!
How great! You are definitely making a positive difference in her life.
Wow, thats quite a comback.
Great job!
Thank you for the most uplifting story of my day ;-)
Shannon
I was wondering about Sade....what a great story.
you should also be so proud of yourself Saren....you were here positive role model.
You are such a wonderful person....Garrett is a lucky lil guy to have you as his momma.
Way to go Sade!!!! That is so awesome.....
I am so happy to hear it!!
I'm just getting caught up on everyone else's lives now that we're home and so glad to see that Garrett is adjusting well and seems so happy. I hardly recognized him! It really is a testament to the kind of wonderful parents you both are. And Sade report card is too.
Post a Comment