Thursday, October 23, 2008

Big reunion in Marietta

October 2006
October 2008
Well it's official: the boys of Uralsk reunited this past weekend. And what a reunion it was. It seems Charlie recognized Garrett immediately because he kept calling him Naury (his nickname at the baby house). When we arrived, Charlie was so excited and full of energy while Garrett was unusually quiet, complaining of a headache. I knew what that meant–he'd soon be throwing up. And he did at the dinner table. Apparently, flying doesn't agree with him as this is the second time this has happened. Fortunately, I came prepared with anti-nausea pills, which nipped it in the bud. But it was still a quiet first night for the boys.

The next morning, Garrett was back to his old, talkative self and he and Charlie chased each other around the house. After breakfast, we headed to a local park and then down to the historic main square. Marietta is a quiet, wooded suburb north of Atlanta. The only sound you'll hear is the occasional fighter jet roaring overhead from nearby Dover Military Base. Anita put it best, "It's the sound of freedom."

Late afternoon, the Tratwicks stopped by. Holly and Josh adopted Jonathan at the same time Charlie was adopted. Jonathan has a mild case of CP, which affects his legs. It was amazing to see his transformation. Here was a little boy who couldn't walk, talk or crawl two years ago, now runs, talks in very sophisticated sentences and is as tall as Garrett (who is two years older than he). The miracle of a family's love. It's obvious that Holly is a real advocate for Jon-Jon, again proving that the right child always goes to the right family. This little boy has endured countless surgeries and still needs more, but he's thriving beyond belief. It was very amazing to witness.

That evening, Garrett had his very first bath (I've always given him showers because that's what he had grown accustomed to at the orphanage.) He and Charlie had such a fun time—it kind of made me sad, knowing that Garrett will never have a sibling to grow up with. Anita and John (Charlie's parents) are in the paperwork stage, hoping to adopt another toddler boy from Uralsk. So hopefully in a couple of years, Charlie will be splashing around with his new baby brother.

Monday was our departure day (which was a very eventful couple days onto itself, but that story will be told in another post). We said our sad farewells, but the good news is we'll see Charlie, Anita and John around Thanksgiving when they'll be up in Minnesota for a visit (Anita is from North Dakota so she has friends and family in our neck of the woods). It was a wonderful trip and the start of a life-long friendship for these little guys—a blessing beyond belief. Again, I'm so thankful to Anita for finding us, she is truly a very giving, loving mother.Can these boys be any cuter together?

11 comments:

CL Lambert said...

Oh Karen. This is such a heartwarming story. I think it is just the neatest thing that the boys will always have this friendship. A very special, very unique bond that will stand the test of time no doubt!

traceylynndel said...

I'm glad things went well. It is a heartwarming story. It is wonderful the boys will always have their babyhouse "brothers" even if they aren't in the same states. Garrett may never have a brother in his house but he will always have these two brothers.

Tracey
www.delrosarioadoptionsaga.spaces.live.com

marsrob said...

WOW. I don't know what to say - what an incredibly moving tribute to these boys and their history together. The fact that their parents went out of their ways to help them reconnect is profoundly loving and those are the luckiest kids in the world. WOW. BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN.

Sandi said...

Karen,
This reunion brings tears to my eyes. It is so wonderful that these 3 boys who were together for so long have been reunited. How fabulous.

Sandi

Alaina said...

How wonderful! All the boys are just adorable and how fantastic for them to have a chance to reconnect!

Unknown said...

Awww... they are all so cute. It is so wonderful you managed to get them all together.

Kim said...

What a great blessing to be able to have all those boys reunited. I am sure they will be lifelong friends!

Kim

McMary said...

What a neat story. And what courageous and handsome boys--it is so nice that they have each other and that they have parents who will keep them connected.

Susan said...

ok, I have already cried enough tonight when I watched the slideshow my OTHER friend karen made me when we arrived in Tampa 4 nights ago, and then I read this. What a wonderfully heartwarming story and again-so amazing-the miracle of adoption and the right parents and the right kiddo's. It is such a wonderful thing to witness in our own lives, and to hear these stories, over, and over, and over.

I love that all these boys have found wonderful loving families and everyone is so happy.
Garrett is so handsome and sweet. I'm so happy for you !!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I'm so glad I'm getting caught up. This is the post that I wanted to see. The boys looks so cute together. Sure brought a smile to our faces.

Eileen

Stacy said...

What a fabulous story!! How sweet to see them together again!