In the past couple of days, the old sweet Garrett has seemed to return. (Hallelujah.) We've been treating him like a toddler: we dress him, brush his teeth and wake him up for potty breaks. He asks me every morning why I'm helping him dress and my answer is always the same, "Because Mommy loves you." He smiles and tells me he loves me too. Every morning, he proudly shows me the dry bed sheets and floor rug. He says he want to listen to mommy and then asks me if I'm happy. He really is a sweetie pie although his temper tantrums can get downright nasty. One night last week I caught him rocking himself (he hasn't done that since Kazakhstan). When asked why he was doing it, he was unable to give me an answer. You have to wonder what's going on inside his head as he's not good at expressing his feelings. (Is that a boy thing or what?) But he is doing much better, so on that happier note, we've decided that Garrett could see his buddy Charlie next weekend while he and his family are in town. They adore each other, so I'd like to keep that friendship going but we'll also monitor it to see whether he has another regressive episode or not.
This past weekend, I took him for his first professional haircut. He thoroughly enjoyed it—he got to suck on a lollipop while watching his favorite book character, "Curious George" on the small screen.


Unfortunately, my camera batteries died so I didn't get a final shot. But here he is the next day with papa, coloring while Bob watched his beloved Bears get pummeled by the Packers.

Here he is proudly showing off his turkey homework assignment. Note that he is now learning to color within the lines. (Another first.) Isn't his haircut cute?
9 comments:
you are such a good mom, Saren! I think you are making him feel secure and making him know he is loved.
I love his lil haircut-it's so cute!
sean still has temper tantrums and he's 10-they're few and far between but he has them-so don't feel so alone there. :)
Have fun with Charlie and that Garrett is way cute. :)
How is your arm??
He is a VERY handsome boy. Truly. I think you're going to be beating the girls off with a stick in a few years. (Where did that expression come from anyway?!)
I'm so glad he's back to being his sweet self. Gigi is in the two stage and while not comparable to Garrett's age, she has her Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde weeks too. It's crazy how one day they're sweet as pie and make us feel all warm and gooey on the inside, and then the next day, well let's just say it's all the opposite. :-)
Hope your shoulder is feeling better!
It's so easy to see how sweet Garrett is and what wonderful parents you are. Wishing you all of the best from Austin, Susan
I love the picture of Garrett holding his turkey picture. Adorable! I am so glad he is falling back into place. And yes- the lack of expressing of feelings.... it must be a boy thing. I don't have a son, but I do have a husband :-)
Hope you are feeling good and your arm is doing well! Enjoy your weekend visit with Charlie & family!
So adorable! Aila got her haircut too! Glad they have those fun places for the kids.
Glad things are going better. You are such a thoughtful, loving mother - what a blessed child!
Yes, his hair is adorable, what a cute boy! Glad that things seem to be returning to normal. Josh goes through ups and downs like that too.
He looks so handsome.
You are a great mom. Thank God he's letting you do these things, and not doing passive agressive stuff. I can handle one or the other but flipp flopping drives me bonkers!
He is handsome! Is that a bandaid on his turkey? I prefer gravy!
Getting caught up. Glad to hear that the good Garrett is emerging again. It does sound like seeing his Kaz buddies triggered some memory - sort of like post-traumatic stress disorder or something. What a handsome boy after his haircut!
P.S. Too bad the receptionist at PT didn't understand "lawsuit."
Karen, We would love to get an invite to the blog you suggested. Can you send her our email (altansky@yahoo.com) and request an invitation? Thanks!
Post a Comment