Yesterday Garrett came home from school with a big scratch on the side of his face. When asked who did it, he said he didn't know. Was it a boy or a girl (or as he would say, "Girla")? He said a boy. Then we asked who. Again, he wouldn't say. We said we weren't mad, we just wanted to know. So we started rattling off his friends' names...Isaac?...no...Devin?...no...Jason? (He finally nodded to Jason.) Jason is the little boy at the bus stop who horses around with him. So I rubbed some Maderma for scars on his gash and called it a night.
This morning he announced that he had gone pee-pee in bed (despite the fact that both Bob and I woke him last night for potty breaks). As I was applying more Maderma to his face, he softly said, "Michaela." Apparently, it was a girl who was responsible for the scratch. I asked why he didn't tell us last night and said he wanted to wait for tomorrow. As I was relaying this to Bob, he immediately made the connection between Garrett feeling guilty and wetting the bed. Guess he was feeling anxious for not telling us the truth. Which, of course, made total sense to me and was a big relief to think it wasn't regression coming back to bite us.
More and more, I think it takes a PhD in parenting to get this right.
5 comments:
Hopefully the two were related. Smart thinking.
Sounds like maybe he understands that the guilt might have been at fault too. Probably we decided to admit it to you. sounds like progress to me.
what a sweet lil boy-he is learning to trust you.
I like the Ph.D comment ;-) It's a wonder we're not all raving maniacs, what with our parents evidently not knowing what the heck they were doing! Since we're not, I guess it all works out and our kids will be somewhat normal as well. Garrett sounds so so so sweet ;-)
Shannon
Very interesting insights! Watch to see if there are any more wet beds.
Post a Comment