On to another really important topic that is near and dear to my heart: hosting an older orphan child. As many of you know, we hosted a Russian orphan in the summer of '06 for three weeks. Vova was a delightful little boy and although we didn't adopt him, we enjoyed our time together. He eventually found another forever family and now lives in a southern Twin Cities suburb. Although hosting is an excellent program it is not a free program; families have to pay for airline tickets, visas, chaperones and all clothes and related expenses, which can quickly add up to thousands of dollars. But the chance for these older children to find families is priceless. One such family who is ready to host a sibling set of three in December is Holly and Josh Trawick. If the name sounds familiar, it should. Their son Jonathan was the other little boy from Garrett's baby house whom we met in Marietta.
Here is Holly's email; in her own words:"As most of you know, we are hosting a sibling set of 3 Russian Orphans this Christmas. I am asking all of our blog friends to post links to our blog and our fundraiser page on your blog. First of all this will help us raise the money we need to bring our host kids and second it will get the word out about the hosting program. You may be the person that helps our host kids come this winter and you might even find a host family for another child.
The fees to host siblings are: $2050 per child. This money pays for the kids travel expenses (flights, passport, visa....). Because we are hosting 3 kids, our total fees are: $6150! We have already raised $4100, so we are very close to meeting our goal of bringing the 3 kids into our home for Christmas... we only need $2050. Please help us with this goal by posting a link on your blog/website. You could also send out an email to your friends and family. Because our hosting agency, New Horizons for Children is a non-profit, all donations are tax deductible.
This is the link to our fundraiser page:
http://www.active.com/donate/orphans2008/trawickfamily
This is the link to our new blog:
http://trawickfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/
Thank you so much,
Holly Trawick
From left to right, Kolya, Sergei and Valya. If there is any way you can help Holly and Josh bring these three beautiful children over for the holidays that would be wonderful. Any donation amount will help them get closer to their goal.
3 comments:
great write up-and i will defintely help those kids out.
I'm glad things are going better with the G man.
if it makes you feel better, Sean has been like, totally awesome. so mature, sweet, great big bro, great in school-no arguements-no sassiness.
UNTil my parents are here sunday morning before leeza's baptism and i ask him to brush his teeth and tuck his shirt in where i am told MOM CHILL very rudely
I was so angry and miffed at him-he was so disrepctful to me, plus in front of my parents-and he knows i will hear about that later....
so, sometimes boys are just big dorks. :)
Glad to know things are smoothing out a bit. And that is a beautiful thing - the hosting thing. I've never heard about that (where have I been?). Thanks for sharing.
Hi Karen,
I am catching up and I have to say that the wrapping paper I ordered from Garrett's school came so promptly and it is really nice stuff.
Also--sorry to hear about Garrett's troubles since your trip. I don't have much advice but I would imagine that seeinghis friends from the orphanage would bring up old memories and then seeing his new mom with a hurt arm would be hard too. My neice acted up when her mom had surgery and was recovering--it just wasn't right to her that her Mom couldn't do everything for her like always.
Anyway--I am glad to hear that it is going a little better and I think you are so awesome--you are doing such a good job of loving him and teaching him and looking out for him. You are such a great mom!!
Post a Comment