Monday, November 24, 2008

What's more fun


Than two little boys from Uralsk playing together? This time, it was our turn to host the Khin family from Georgia. They were up this week for Thanksgiving, visiting family and friends and we were first on their itinerary. The morning of their arrival, Garrett was all wound up and misbehaving (this was scary—way too deja vu for me). Once they arrived, the boys immediately went into "hard play" mode. Lots of thumps and bangs. Garrett's bedroom was completely torn apart (there were toys out that I didn't even know he had). But they didn't hurt each other or break anything, so we let it go.



Charlie, John and Anita KhinCody, Charlie, John's left eyeball and Anita
Here we are (note, my bum shoulder looks pretty good, don't you think?). Can Garrett look any more excited? What a photo, huh? Don't you think this would make a really special Christmas card (along with their story)?
The good news, after they left Garrett cleaned up his room on his own with no attitude whatsoever. And so far, (knock on wood) yesterday and today there have been no signs of regressive behavior. So I'll end this by letting out a big, big sigh of relief.

7 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah! Great news. Hey - Andrey has the same bed spread!

How long do you think we should do everything for our boys? Do you have any ideas? Until they do it themselves? Not sure. Andrey hasnt dressed himself or voluntarilly fed himself since we got custody of him. Sometimes its really hard to do everything for him - I feel like I am having life sucked from me, and other times its a joy. Hopefully he'll do some of these things before he heads off to college...

McMary said...

The new haircut is really cute--but then Garrett always is.
I think it is great that you can continue the friendship of these two boys and really great that he hasn't shown regression this time.
You are such good parents--adjusting to what is best for Garrett.

dnd82001 said...

Sounds like everything is falling back into place with cute little Garrett!

Wishing your family the happiest Thanksgiving ever!

Darlene

Susan said...

awww i love the pics!!! and sean had that same car thing i see in the pics! I love Garrett's room-and the monkey pics on the wall...

you should see Sean's room after one of our christmas parties-totally and completely destroyed-and Sean NEVER cleaned it up (by himself, anyway) I always had to help. Just recently, at age 10, will he pick his room up on his own, satisfactorily, so that Garrett did it no his own at age 6 is really really impressive!

I love how excited he looks in the picture with you 2--and how happy ya'll look.
I know parenthood is a struggle at times, especialy lately, with a bum shoulder and some regressive behavior, but wow-you look at these pictures and hear about how well Garrett is doing (most of the time) and I just get chills.

Worthwhile things don't come easy-if they did-they wouldn't be worthwhile...or as precious.

Happy thanksgiving Saren and family-I feel so blessed knowing you and following your story!

Hope Good Garrett sticks around...and sweet Sean too....:)

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Wonderful pictures and update from what looks like another special visit between Garrett and Charlie. Great news that Garrett had fun (clearly from the pics) and stayed his sweet little self after everyone left. The last picture made me laugh- like 2 old buddies chilling out on the couch- you can almost see them in that same pose in another 15 years with beers in their hands :-) Happy Thanksgiving!

4texans said...

I've been reading along in your blog and it's so great your son is able to keep up with an old friend and they can really play together.

Rochelle said...

Karen,

I'm glad it went well -- Garrett must feel safer at home -- most of us do.

I had to laugh at the "bird" entry -- and at Thanksgiving time too -- it's almost perfect.

Hope your Thanksgiving was nice.

Rochelle