Thursday, November 13, 2008

Snow, ice, sleet and rain

It's that time of year again: winter is rearing its head and it's hard to know what to expect. This week, we've seen it all: snow, sleet, ice and rain, which makes getting around a real challenge with my bum shoulder. The one warning I did get from my doctor was to stay inside if it's icy out. Sage advice given that if you slip, your natural instinct is to put your arms out to stop the fall. Of course, that would be really bad for me. So imagine my horror when I walked up to the entrance of the physical therapy building and saw 10 or more feet of ice in front of me. I couldn't believe it. Here was a lawsuit ready to happen. I didn't have a number to call inside (it would've been nice to have someone help me across), so my first reaction was to leave and not risk the injury, But I was also pissed that they would allow patients be put in harm's way. So I slowly walked across the ice, made it safely inside and promptly told the check-in clerk at the desk the situation. Her reply? "Physical therapy is on the third floor." I couldn't believe it—no, "I'm so sorry, we'll have someone take care of the situation. Or we'll be sure to have someone walk you out when you leave." Nothing. Her lack of customer service and empathy reminded me of my encounter with the airline employees in Atlanta. I just don't get it. This was a building filled with people who are trained to heal other people, not send them to the emergency room.

On a positive note, I've made remarkable progress with my arm movement. Last Friday (my first day of therapy), I was only able to raise my arm 90º. Five days later, I was at 130º. My therapist was impressed given I had a full dislocation, so I'm hopeful that I'll continue to progress. (Now if I can only stay away from the ice.) People who know me, know that I'm naturally prone to falling. In fact, I've fallen on flat, dry pavement. (So please say a prayer for little old, clumsy me.)

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ew, snow and ice! Ick! :-) I suppose some people might flog me for that as I understand winter sports in MN are a big thing. ;-)

I truly hope you don't slip and fall on all that nasty weather. It does seem odd that the clinic either doesn't have heated sidewalks given the clientele or doesn't have a person lined up to take care of such things.

I'm happy to hear you're progressing well. Good news!

Susan said...

I guess this is why I live in Florida-I would kill myself walking in that snow and ice. It was really HOT here today-so weird how the weather varies isn't it?

I'm sorry that lady was rather rude and apathetic-but we'll just not let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch-but that does sound like a lawsuit waiting to happen!

I'm glad you regaining mobility. I hope that Garrett is doing better too.

Keep warm and safe ok?
I'll sweat over here for ya-

xoxoxo
susan

Kim said...

Glad to hear your shoulder is doing better. There is lack of customer service all around for sure. It's disgusting.

I am envious of your snow, not ice. I will certainly miss it! (Have I told you that before?) :)

Unknown said...

maybe they keep it icy in hopes of getting more business. ok, probably not. It does seem that more and more places have people with a "don't care" attitude working their front lines.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Glad to hear your are making so much progress in PT, though it sounds like your trips to the physical therapist may be more dangerous than worth it! Just caught up on your last few posts. I hope things are settling in with Garrett. Like so many others wrote, I don't have any real insight or useful words of advice, other than to remind you that you have a whole lot of people out here supporting you and Garrett. I hope things fall back into place soon, for all three of you.
Take good care of yourselves!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the snow and ice being so bad - although I do hope there's lots of snow when we get there next week! Sorry.... we need to build snowmen and snow forts! It can go away after we leave... Ha!
I know what you mean about customer service... it's one of my big pet peeves.
Let me know how Garrett is doing...

Kristen (and Cary) said...

I just had a chance to do some catch up blog reading. It is so nice to see Garrett's smiling face -- he looks like a different kid. Wow. He is so handsome.

No word on us....

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Karen,
I'm happy to hear that you're doing better. But you're right in saying something to someone at the clinic....didn't do any good but probably felt good to get it out anyway. Hope you will stay safe!

Thanks for writing on our blog. It's been great for support. Pat left and is on his way home. He lands at 4:00 PM EST. I cried like a baby when he left. I sure miss him. Right now I'm DREADING trying to get her to sleep tonight. It's causing spasms in my neck from the stress of it. It's awful the way she scream cries....like I'm cutting her arms off or something.

I'll have to check back on your blog when Audrey is asleep.

Take care,
Eileen