Monday, October 29, 2007

Me, Bob and Benjamin


Because Kazakhstan is a cash currency society, Bob and I are required to bring a number of Benjamins along for the ride. But not just any Ben or Benny will do. No sir. Each bill must be clean, crisp and brand-spanking new. Ones that are slightly creased, blemished or curled at the edges can be, and will be, promptly refused. (I've even heard of adoptive families ironing their bills before cashing them in.) They also need to be Series 1999 or newer.

So where do you go for crisp one hundred dollar bills? Your local Federal Reserve. And with the holidays fast approaching, NOW is the time to place your order with your bank. (I just got off the phone with mine and they're placing their order next week with shipment to arrive the following week.) Or try writing a letter to that jolly old guy up north. Whatever works best for you.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

That is smart to think ahead of the holiday rush. It was such a pain to get all new, clean bills. It took us several weeks.

Alaina said...

We totally ironed ours - and even used a light starch. We then put them in a ziploc bag before putting them in our money belts. :) We did not have any rejected. :) Our bank did not understand that we meant *brand new* so when we went to pick them up, many did not work which started a frenzied search throughout the city. :) After a lot of stress and lots of wonderful people, it worked.

Kim said...

Hi - I just found your blog. I remember the money issue very well. Way to be ahead of the game!