That Parlimetary bill I wrote about earlier has reared its ugly head again. Here's the post I received today from a member of the Kazak adoption yahoo group:
"I just heard from our agency that there is a bill that is expected to pass in December that will limit the age of BOTH parents to age 50. I am 42 and my husband is 52 and we are in the document gathering phase and there is no way we'll get the I-171H back in time to get the dossier to Kaz by December. Even if we did, there's no guarantee that there would be any "grandfathering." So, if you or your spouse are over age 50, Kaz is out."
Okay, Karen, take a deep breath.
Although our agency assured us we'd be okay (many times over) I decided to ask the question again. This time they agreed to forward my message directly to Kaz to get it straight from the horse's mouth. So until we hear back, we wait on pins and needles.
In the meantime, our dossier has been translated and is en route back to Portland. Actually, it should be there today. The next step in the process is for the agency to make copies of both the English and Russian versions, which then gets hand bound (with string, I might add) into a permanent book. All 150 pages of it. Then it's sealed in an "offical" envelope and whisked off to the Consulate of Kazakhstan in NY—where hopefully it should arrive sometime next Tuesday.
9 comments:
Great news on your dossier. I really hope there aren't any issues with the age thing. It will be good to actually get the information from the source.
Glad they are asking the ones that know. Hope you get good news. Good luck! We are thinking of you!
Hey, I read this today too and my heart sank and i cried like a baby for about 10 minutes.
Then I calmed down and emailed my agency.
So, if it is passed, it's not passed until December..maybe we can get there before then.
I just received today in the mail a quilt handstiched by my grandma and my aunt. It's their interpretation of the Kaz flag.
SO COOL.
Karen-let's hang in there together.
Oh my goodness - good thing you are going to the source to make sure the info is accurate. We sure hope you can get over there and bring home your baby! We are holding you in our hearts!
I can't wait to hear what the rep in Kaz says! Let us know as soon as you hear something! I also wanted to let you know that I tried to reply to your email today, but your spam blocker keeps returning my email. Try adding my email address to your contact list.
No! No more bumps in the road for you guys-- it's not fair!! Definitely don't give up-- and get your dossier in.. Files are zipping through in some regions-- one family whose dossier went to MFA in September will be traveling in the next few days. When this topic came up last month, one parent was told by her agency that a similar bill is proposed every year and has failed to date.. And even if they pass it, hopefully the effective date will not be the date of the vote-- giving caring people like you and Bob the chance to bring Conor home.
We're pulling for you and wishing your dossier a speedy trip so that you are in Kaz in no time at all.
Hang in there!
Karen.
We'll be thinking of you and hope that nothing effects you being able to bring home your little guy!
May I add you to my links?
From one Minnesotan to another, I am praying for the two of you that this proposed bill will not pass or at least those with dossiers in-country in 2007 will be grandfathered in!
Prayers,
Christy
Post a Comment