Friday, October 5, 2007

What’s black and white but turns to gold once in your hands?

The hard copy of the I-171 arrived in the mail on Monday, and Susan you were right, it sure is an unimpressive document. First, it’s laser printed. Second, there isn’t even a real signature on it, just a stamp. Even the notary questioned whether it was the original copy. For all its plainness, it is our ticket to getting our little boy home. And that’s gold in our eyes.

Today, Bob heads to the Secretary of State for the final apostille. And then on Monday, our dossier should be on a Fed Ex jet heading west to Portland. (Woo-woo.)

For those of you waiting on your I-171H, when you receive your approval document, scan down to check box #3, which tells you where the petition is being forwarded. Our approval was emailed to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, NH. Our agency contact questioned why it wasn’t going directly to Almaty. I immediately had our social worker check into it. As it turns out, once a case is approved, the advance processing application is sent to the NVC who then in turn forwards it on to the Consulate in Almaty. To ensure this happens in a timely manner, you may want to have your agency do a follow up.

5 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah - you got it, FINALLY! You must be very excited. Yes, that document is the most unofficial looking thing! Congrats!

Susan said...

ok,i had to go look at mine after you said that...
yeah, it says its going to ALMATY KAZAKSTAN via the National Visa Center in Portsmouth NH.
mine does have a signature on it though,

but that form is sure not impressive.
If I WERE IN CHARGE, I'd redo it.
but, i'm not. :)
so , I won't, and just be glad i got it in my sweaty lil hands. :)

marsrob said...

CONGRATS! Very exciting...another step closer to baby!

- Jennifer

Regina said...

I know exactly what you mean. You would expect these "precious" documents to look at least a little bit artistic!

Is it too much to ask for silver glitter to fall out of the envelopes?

Let me in that mail room...

:-) Regina

Angela said...

Good for you! Our Home Study has been with the State of Illinois AND the U.S. government for 2 weeks now. Our state has to approve before the government - some new procedure. Sounds like more time to me. Anyway, I just wanted to say congrats on that most unimpressive, but oh so important document. Are you officially paper pregnant now?