Thursday, September 4, 2008

First day









Garrett made it through his first day at kindergarten with flying colors. We were greeted this morning at school with bubbles and concrete chalk drawings—it was very festive. Then all the children lined up in the lobby according to grade. Garrett kept asking, why, why, why (maybe that's because he's in that wonderful "why" stage). After a few minutes, his teacher, Mrs. Scott appeared and everyone filed in like little ducklings behind her. I couldn't believe how many kindergartners there were—three classes worth. Garrett has 24 classmates and all 24 sat on the floor criss-cross applesauce and waited patiently for their names to be called. (I think having a tight regiment will be good for him.) At that point, Bob and I waved our goodbyes and Garrett was on his own (without a whimper, thank goodness).

Now here's where mom made a major faux pas. I made Garrett's lunch last night and packed it in his lunch box. This morning, I showed him the lunch box with the Velcro-attached water bottle and then stuffed it into his backpack. After school, Bob opened his lunch box and to his surprise saw that nothing was touched. Turns out, Garrett didn't know there was food in there. (Of course, why would he? He's never had a lunch box, so why would he look in there for food? He's used to being served at the orphanage and at daycare.) So apparently, he watched the other kids eat their lunch while he had nothing. I put a call into school to see if anyone had the sense to get him something. Ugh. What a great first day memory—way to go mom.

11 comments:

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

don't beat yourself up mom... I'm sure I would have done the same thing... it's ok...
you are doing a great job...
and tomorrow his lunch will be even better!!!
can't wait to see the pics.

Angela said...

So glad everything went well. It really sounds like the kind, loving environment that he needs for his education!

I had to smile at your lunch story - not about him not eating, but because a similar thing happened to Luca on his first day of kindergarten. He knew that he had lunch, but his teacher forgot to give it to him and either he didn't remember or ask for it. He ate a school lunch instead. I about had a heart attack. The lunches at his school are horrible! This is a place that serves long john donuts and juice for breakfast.

Don't feel bad Mama. It is hard to remember all this stuff! Maybe he too had a school lunch.

Kim said...

Good for you to call the school. You would think that someone would ask him or look for goodness sakes!

Happy to see that all went well.

Susan said...

oh bless your heart...i would not have thought of that either I bet!

oh well...you both learned something, right?

I'm so glad he had a great first day.
He's such a sweetie and you are a wonderful mom!!!

Joby and Marla said...

Sounds like he had a good first day except for the lunch. Hey, I wouldn't have thought about it either. So did he get lunch from school? One time Kylie didn't get lunch when she was 6. No one noticed at her school, I was so annoyed!!! She did get snack that day.

Thanks for posting about the bonding issue. I am worried about it a little. I can love any child that comes into my house. My husband is a little more reserved with his heart. I told him your story & we discussed it. I think it helps knowing other people have the same feelings.

Rochelle said...

Breaks my heart thinking of him not having anything to eat but then I had to laugh a little too. Such a learning curve for all of you.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it continues to go at school.

Auntie Rochelle

McMary said...

Hi Karen and bob,
Just read your last three posts. I love learning from all your posts--ask the kids before sending you kid over to play, show him where his lunch is, etc. thanks for sharing. I know I will make plenty of my own mistakes but at least I will know those "rules".
Garrett is really a special boy--it's great to see the changes in him. You keep "roaring" Mom!

Susan said...

Did you just add these pictures? I don't think that i saw those before...
they are really cute.

I love seeing the changes in this child and in his mother.
Ya'll are so darn adorable I almost can't stand it!

Thad and Ann said...

I'm glad his day went well, other then lunch. I would've done the same thing. Godd for you top call the school, I'm shocked they don't have a system to make sure every one gets their lunch box & eats.

Diana said...

Poor guy! You'll be talking about the lunch box incident for years.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Oh....he looks so happy his first day at school. How special that both you and Bob could be there and to take photos.

I would have done the same thing with the lunch box too. But I'm glad that you called the school. Perhaps they'll know to look to make sure he eats!

Eileen