Our beautiful translators and Atta.

We met quite a few interesting people while in Kazakhstan, one was Atta (Kazakh for grandfather). In Almaty, we met Atta quite by accident. One evening, Garrett (Nurlan) and I were sitting at a table, eating dinner while waiting for Bob to join us when along came an elderly Kazakh man. He stood not far from our table, dressed dapperly in a gray suit with walking cane. He was a obviously a war hero, sporting medals on his lapel.
All the tables were taken, so I motioned for him to join us. He sat down and started talking in Russian. I smiled and replied, “yanne pani my u.” (I don’t understand.) He smiled and slowly pulled out three hardcover books from his bag. He flipped to a photo in the book and pointed to it. It was him some 40 years earlier. He continued to ask questions while pointing at Garrett. He gestured for a pen and started writing in the book.
Fortunately, sitting at the next table was a small group of women who happened to hear my feeble attempts. One started talking in English. Boy, was I happy to meet her. It turns out this man was not only a war hero, but a university professor and a published author. He was excited to hear more about Garrett and his new family (which runs counter to how many Kazakhs feel about international adoption). He then asked if he could adopt Garrett as his grandson. Hence the name Atta. Atta was working on his fourth book and wanted me to write a chapter about our family, accompanied by a few photos. We agreed to meet the following night, same place and time. Our translators also agreed to meet us.
We spent the next day, writing our story and digging into his books. Who was this man? And what was compelling him to write another book at age 92? There was a small section in English that revealed his passion: the creation of the new super socialist society.
The following evening, Atta brought Garrett a special gift—a necklace with a bible pendant. He insisted next time we would be his house guests and that he was thinking of leaving his flat to Garrett. (Which totally floored us.) We asked about his children and grandchildren. He insisted they were well off and didn’t need anything. Apparently, his grandson is the assistant to the President of Kazakhstan and if there was anything we needed, we should just ask. (If we had only known this before our adoption process.) He then spoke of a dream he had weeks ago. He would meet a foreign family who would lead him to his seventh grandchild. His dream also revealed that this child one day would become one of the leaders of the new Super Socialist Society.
Who knew?
18 comments:
That story gives me chills. It is amazing how certain people come into our lives for special reasons when we least expect it. How very special.
What a great story!
It gave me chills too....and I got teary eyed.....wow it must be true!! GOD Bless your young man!!
Wow! Neat story! Not the sort of thing that happens every day! :)
I sort of fell into your blog and the letters "MN" caught my eye. We are also from MN and are starting the whole Kaz adoption roller coaster ride. I saw you even have a play group going. Would love to be part of it when we get a little further along.
MaryAnn
aultfamily @ yahoo .com
What an awesome experience! And how great for Garrett to have that as part of his story and journey to your family!
ok, i am tired of crying-and now you made me cry again!!
What a wonderful precious story!! that is really special..people are sooooooooooo wonderful and I am so amazed by the warmth and generosity of the people of Kazakhstan. I have not met anyone that oposes adoption. I have only received very kind words of what a good thing it is. I had heard it was not viewed favorably, and I am sure that some view it that way, but i think the majority of people view it as a good thing!
I love how children bring people together--look at how our children brought us all together plus this wonderful grandfather to Garrett.
I'm so touched by your story-and the tears are happy ones I'm shedding for you this morning. :)
What a unique story... and one I am sure Garrett will love as he gets older. It is almost like having your very own living Kaz Angel.
Here's to Atta!!!!
Wow, that is incredible. Atta is 92? He looks pretty good. Will you ever get the book?
Unbelievable! This is REALLY something. Thank You for sharing!
Wow, what an awesome story. I can't believe he's 92, he doesn't look it. That will be weird if Garret inherits his flat one day.
WOW> That is INCREDIBLE.
What an amazing story and a great lifelong connection to Kaz for Garrett.
Wow = what a story!
Wow. What an amazing experience.
Whoa, that's an amazing experience! And what serendipidy. I guess we'll have to stay tuned to see what happens, huh??? :-)
awesome story....
That is one of the coolest Kaz stories I've heard!!! When Garrett runs for leader of the SSS Party, he will have my vote for sure!
I'm doing some long overdue blog surfing and loving being able to catch up with those who crossed our paths in Almaty. Sounds like all is going well for you.
Sara and Julian
That is a very cool entry... what a wonderful memory for all of you.
Tracy
Post a Comment