Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It takes a village

Last week, we met with the special education team at Garrett’s school. I was blown away by the number of people sitting around the table—speech and occupational therapists, a psychologist, a social worker, the ESL teacher, kindergarten teacher, after school program director, four special education teachers—all told 11 people were there to offer their evaluations.

We found out that to qualify for special education services, a child has to score below the mean in two areas, which Garrett did (just barely, which means he’s not as far behind as we had thought). These services are only available to us for another 10 months (Garrett maxes out at age 6 years 11 months). So our hope is that by the end of this school year he’ll be all caught up. If not, then he’ll go through another battery of tests to see if he qualifies for additional services. Since I had a captive audience, I pleaded our case once again—restating that Garrett’s history makes his situation different from others. The good news? Not only did I feel we were heard but they also “got it.” Better yet, they were sharing the articles I had sent with each other. (Yaaay—I love educators, they actually read stuff so all my efforts were not in vain.) The meeting ended with the agreement that they'll write the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) and we'll hear their recommendations within 10 days. So this Thursday morning we'll find out what’s in store for Garrett.

Of course, I couldn’t resist posting more pictures of Garrett—here he is being a little monkey at the school playground.

7 comments:

Rochelle said...

Karen,

Just getting caught up on the blog. Sounds like you have been very busy and doing lots of good and fun stuff. I really enjoyed the photos of first day of school and the boob story is quite funny. Boys will be boys or he takes after Bob or whatever.

Talk to you soon Trooper Mom!

XO, Rochelle

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

so happy to read this post and hear you were pleased as a parent with the evaluations, etc... As a special educator (Speech-Language Pathologist) I was SO excited to read about how pleased you were and that you were happy with the educators, their knowledge, and the meeting in general... yeah!!!
can't wait to hear the results...
Have a great night!
Lanetta

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Family of Bloggers said...

Glad Garrett's teachers etc are all being receptive. It is true- educators are the best. They surely don't do it for the money, so you have to know they genuinely care.
And I'm glad you "had" to post pictures! I would have been sad if you hadn't! Adorable as always :-)

Patrick & Eileen said...

Karen,
This actually brought tears to my eyes. Happy ones of course. I am so glad to hear that *they listened* and so many of them too!

It was a wonderful idea of yours to send or give them articles to read as well. I don't know if I would have thought of that. I have no doubt that when you spoke to plead his case they you were heard and taken seriously.

Congratulations Mom!!

Eileen

marsrob said...

That is so amazing that everyone came together for your son! WONDERFUL! And GREAT photos!

Susan said...

garrett is so smart and adorabale. I know he will catch up very quick with momma bear on the task...

love ya!
so glad to hear what wonderful resoruces are available and that momma bear is seeking them out.
will you be my mom please?