We had our IEP meeting today with the school special ed team. They presented their plan for Garrett, which identified two student-based educational needs: the need to increase his academic skills and the need to increase his functional classroom skills.
On an academic level, Garrett's behind his peers on identifying colors, rote counting, identifying and copying upper and lower case letters, drawing shapes and writing his name. Functionally, he needs help following classroom rules and routines, sitting quietly while facing the teacher, listening to the teacher, participating in activities and modeling appropriate behavior of his classmates. Basically, Garrett is now functioning at a three to four-year-old level, so we need to bring him up to speed.
The plan calls for Deb, the special ed teacher to pull him out of class two times per week for a 30-minute session. Then there's Darcy, the occupational therapist, who’ll make suggestions to both his kindergarten and special ed teachers. In late October, he will start an ESL class that meets 1-1/2 hours, five days a week. There will be two more progress reports for the year, after which they will determine whether Garrett needs more testing or if he qualifies for extended school year (AKA summer school).
Last, but not least, this plan is a legal document that holds the team accountable for meeting these goals. And the best part? I wasn’t asked to get it notarized and apostilled. Yaaay!!!!
9 comments:
Wow....that is fantastic news! What a plan!!
I loved what you said about *the best part!* Very funny :)
Again, super news!!
Eileen
Hi there! Thanks for your comment on our blog. We're doing pretty well - we've actually started a new domestic adoption process. It feels weird to start all over again, but it feels like the right thing to do. I'm not excited about advertising our new process on a blog this time, though. We're trying to keep it fairly private.
The educational team you have at Garrett's school sounds great! What a supportive environment! I'm so glad...
Yeah! That is a great plan. Can't wait to hear how he makes progress!
Karen & Bob,
You are doing everything I wish we had done when we brought Hailee home! It's good to hear that the school district is going to work with you to help Garrett catch up to his peers. Wonderful news!!
Cheryl
Now that IS cause for celebration! I love it. Sounds like you are doing incredible things - with help - for your beautiful son!
That's great! Garrett will certainly benefit from the one on one.
ok i just cracked up at the notarized and apostilled part. :)
that's awesome news and a great plan for Garrett. Of course he doesn't know how to do those things....he is learnign English and has never been to school.
I still believe Garrett is going to suprise everyone.
you go Momma bear. you are such a loving and caring and SMART momma bear. You make me proud.
Wow--sounds like you found a great school for Garrett and that you have been an awesome Mom for him--getting him the programs he needs. He is going to do so well with you in his corner.
I am now going to tell my parents when explainin all that paperwork that at least they don't have to get in notarized and apostilled...LOL!!! that was great...
sounds like a great plan... and I agree.. with a mom like you, he can't go wrong..
I was curious about the SLP... is he going to recieve any speech therapy?
have a great weekend...
Lanetta
Post a Comment