
It seemed rather fitting that our first “date night” should fall on the fourth anniversary of our first date. And even though we’ve been parents to Garrett for only 2-1/2 months, it seemed like forever since we’ve had any alone time.
Before I go any further, I think it’s worth going back to 2004. People always ask how we met. If you ask Bob, he’ll tell you it was at Sidney’s (a local restaurant). I just cut to the chase: match.com. (Actually, I love seeing people squirm—even in this day and age, online dating makes people uncomfortable. It’s as though they want to apologize after the fact.) But the reality is, we almost didn’t meet. After exchanging multiple emails via match, we decided to “talk.” Our first call was less than stellar. I caught Bob at a low point. He was sick of online dating and ready to get off it, so his tone was angry and defensive. He kept saying ridiculous things like, “you Minnesota women only want to talk and not meet…I’m so sick of match, I’m ready to get off and just meet women on bike trails.” I kept telling him I wasn’t from Minnesota and that I WAS ready to meet him—in fact, I wanted to get the date over with. He seemed like such a jerk and his photo, which he had posted made him look like Dr. Phil. Plus, I met another guy on match around the same time who seemed more to my liking.
Well, the first date went better than expected. In person, Bob was far better looking than Dr. Phil (except now he looked like my old boss, which was creepy in other ways). He was fun, sweet and charming. At the end of the date, I agreed to see him again. After a few more bumpy dates (and duking it out with the other guy I met on match), Bob stole my heart. He proposed after three months and we married the following August.
Now back to our first date night. Aunt Rochelle was gracious enough to watch Garrett. We weren’t sure how’d he react to seeing us both leave at the same time. (This was a first.) We kept telling him, “Papa and mama are going to school. We’re reading books.” He seemed to get it on some level. So much so that when Rochelle showed up with a Ratatouille DVD and a bag of popcorn, Garrett was ready to shove us out the door. (It helps that Aunt Rochelle is far more fun than mama.) Relieved, we left and had a fabulous 3-hour date, reconnecting over wine and artichoke dip while listening to a Parisian singer accompanied by violin and accordion. It was just what the doctor ordered. (Thank you Rochelle.)
By the way, Happy Belated Father's Day to all dads and prospective dads out there. I would've posted yesterday but we haven't had any power at the house since 9:35 p.m. Saturday. Another bad storm knocked it out and we're still in the dark. I'm writing this post at work.
8 comments:
That is a funny post, you and Dr. Phil's first date. :) That made me crack up. :)
I met Joe at work, but i didn't want to go out with him. I thought he was "too old" and "had too much baggage". I had been divorced as well and didn't need some older guy with 2 teenage kids. Well, my friends kept talking him out about what a good guy he was. He asked me out 3 times and was VERY PERSISTENT (without being creepy) I relented, and, whoa....my friends were right. He was (and is) a great guy. It wasn't easy being a stepmom to teenagers either...12 year old girl, 15 year old boy when we met. But, hey, I figure it prepared me well for international adoption. "Expect the unexpected"..and it's still going well 10 years of marriage later. :)
Your date night sounds wonderful-and I'm glad Garrett has someone super fun to hang with. That is very important!!
I'm glad you aren't a Minnesota woman who never likes to find a good match, cuz Garrett sure is a great match for you! :)
This cracked me up! I have good friends that met and married after meeting on match.com also. You never know! :-) Glad you were able to have a date night! They are very important!
Kim
I think it's very important to have date nights...to reconnect. It's good for kids to see this too. Sounds like Garrett had a good time as well :)
I loved how you met!! Glad you shared that. I love to hear those kinds of stories :)
Eileen
What a nice how we met story - Dennis & I tell folks we met at a park by my office which is true but only after we met online at what was Love at AOL and is now Match. We felt people would be odd about the us meeting online so we just used our first meeting as how we met. I think even with all the online dating that happens people are still leary although I know of many success stories of love through cyber world that have happy endings!! And now if it wasn't for the web none of us would have the support & weatlh of knowledge we have gained through the blog world of Kaz folks - not to mention I feel like I have a whole new group friends that I cherish & even though we haven't met we are here for each other!!
So yes it's all good.
Sounds like a super night all around - good for you guys - you deserve it!
Darlene
Great Story about how you met & about your first date. It cracked me up!
Date night is important & sounds like you had a good time.
Garrett seems to be adjusting well and although I know there are rough patches along the way, the road ahead is going to be filled with lots of fun.
Sounds like a great date night.
I would love to get the email address or phone number of that Russian speaking group you mentioned on my blog--don't know when I will find any time but it's worth checking out.
You can email me at
mcnab dot mary at mayo dot edu
thanks
I've enjoyed catching up on your posts and hearing that Garrett is making such remarkable progress!
I know several couples who met on match.com -- some of them married! It's not so unusual anymore and most people I know don't raise their eyebrows at it. :-)
Love that you shared your story. I have a few friends who met their match on match, too. It can be a good thing if you stick it out. Glad you had a great date night. I am wishing you more sleep, too.
Post a Comment